MLB News: Marines Sign Xavier Nady to Minor League Deal
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 11:33 PM EST
The Seattle Mariners have agreed in principle with free agent outfielder Xavier Nady, who is expected to play for the team's Triple-A affiliate team, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.
Though he would have to earn his spot in the Triple-A, the Mariners hope Nady would help them solve their weakness against left-handed pitchers this season.
"Nady will likely join the club's Triple-A affiliate in hopes of earning a call-up. Should that occur, he would offer an outfield option to slot in against opposing southpaws for a club that has struggled in that department. (Seattle's outfielders have mustered only a .273 wOBA and 70 wRC+ against lefties, as a unit.)," according to Bob Dutton of Tacoma News Tribune via MLB Rumors.
Nady might already have passed his prime but he's still solid batter against left-handed pitchers, carrying a career 112 wRC+ against opposite-handed hitters (against a 93 wRC+ against righties). Last season, Nady put up a .879 OPS in 135 plate appearances against lefties.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June