MLB News: Cardinals Call Up Prospect Oscar Taveras
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 11:33 PM EST
The St. Louis Cardinals have already called up top batting prospect Oscar Taveras from Triple-A Memphis during their match with the San Francisco Giants, the team announced on Saturday.
The 21-year old outfielder was batting .325 with seven homers and 40 RBIs in 49 games with Triple-A Memphis. Taveras is expected to fill the void left by Matt, who was placed on disabled list with a left calf strain.
Considered as the no.5 best prospect for 2014 and no.2 for 2013 by MLB analyst Keith Law, Taveras could give the Cardinals a big boost to their already potent offense.
"It made sense in two ways," Mozeliak said. "One, let Matt Adams heal, and two, it's an opportunity to give Oscar some playing time and not have to worry about the balance of power and worry about who's playing and who's not."
MLB.com and Baseball American ranked Taveras the no.3 overall prospect before the season. The Cards signed the outfielder in 2008 out of Dominican Republic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims