NFL News: Markus Wheaton Primed To Become Steelers No.1 Quarterback
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 10:17 PM EST
Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Markus Wheaton believed he's headed to a breakout season after playing remarkably well this offseason, Wheaton said during this week's OTA.
Wheaton, who is expected to become the Steelers' no.1 wide receiver heading into the new season, believed he has a chance to be the Steelers' prime receiver, but he's not counting out his other competitors.
"There's a lot of guys chasing that spot and hopefully I can get it first and go from there," Wheaton said. "They're pushing all of us to get better, and whoever wants it the most will take it, so I'm going to do what I can to get that spot."
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger also admitted that he's excited to hook up with the young quarterback, whom he believes has a ton of potentials ahead of him.
"I'm excited to see what he can do," Roethlisberger said. "He's a guy that wants to prove that he can be a starter."
Wheaton is looking forward to become a key contributor for the team after playing limited action last season.
"Being able to sit out last year pretty much helped me," said Wheaton, who caught six passes for 64 yards in limited action. "I learned a lot of the coverages, the adjustments Ben throws at us, the playbook."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build