NFL News: Markus Wheaton Primed To Become Steelers No.1 Quarterback
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 10:17 PM EST
Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Markus Wheaton believed he's headed to a breakout season after playing remarkably well this offseason, Wheaton said during this week's OTA.
Wheaton, who is expected to become the Steelers' no.1 wide receiver heading into the new season, believed he has a chance to be the Steelers' prime receiver, but he's not counting out his other competitors.
"There's a lot of guys chasing that spot and hopefully I can get it first and go from there," Wheaton said. "They're pushing all of us to get better, and whoever wants it the most will take it, so I'm going to do what I can to get that spot."
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger also admitted that he's excited to hook up with the young quarterback, whom he believes has a ton of potentials ahead of him.
"I'm excited to see what he can do," Roethlisberger said. "He's a guy that wants to prove that he can be a starter."
Wheaton is looking forward to become a key contributor for the team after playing limited action last season.
"Being able to sit out last year pretty much helped me," said Wheaton, who caught six passes for 64 yards in limited action. "I learned a lot of the coverages, the adjustments Ben throws at us, the playbook."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2