NFL News: Markus Wheaton Primed To Become Steelers No.1 Quarterback
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 10:17 PM EST
Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Markus Wheaton believed he's headed to a breakout season after playing remarkably well this offseason, Wheaton said during this week's OTA.
Wheaton, who is expected to become the Steelers' no.1 wide receiver heading into the new season, believed he has a chance to be the Steelers' prime receiver, but he's not counting out his other competitors.
"There's a lot of guys chasing that spot and hopefully I can get it first and go from there," Wheaton said. "They're pushing all of us to get better, and whoever wants it the most will take it, so I'm going to do what I can to get that spot."
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger also admitted that he's excited to hook up with the young quarterback, whom he believes has a ton of potentials ahead of him.
"I'm excited to see what he can do," Roethlisberger said. "He's a guy that wants to prove that he can be a starter."
Wheaton is looking forward to become a key contributor for the team after playing limited action last season.
"Being able to sit out last year pretty much helped me," said Wheaton, who caught six passes for 64 yards in limited action. "I learned a lot of the coverages, the adjustments Ben throws at us, the playbook."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed