NFL News: Markus Wheaton Primed To Become Steelers No.1 Quarterback
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 10:17 PM EST
Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Markus Wheaton believed he's headed to a breakout season after playing remarkably well this offseason, Wheaton said during this week's OTA.
Wheaton, who is expected to become the Steelers' no.1 wide receiver heading into the new season, believed he has a chance to be the Steelers' prime receiver, but he's not counting out his other competitors.
"There's a lot of guys chasing that spot and hopefully I can get it first and go from there," Wheaton said. "They're pushing all of us to get better, and whoever wants it the most will take it, so I'm going to do what I can to get that spot."
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger also admitted that he's excited to hook up with the young quarterback, whom he believes has a ton of potentials ahead of him.
"I'm excited to see what he can do," Roethlisberger said. "He's a guy that wants to prove that he can be a starter."
Wheaton is looking forward to become a key contributor for the team after playing limited action last season.
"Being able to sit out last year pretty much helped me," said Wheaton, who caught six passes for 64 yards in limited action. "I learned a lot of the coverages, the adjustments Ben throws at us, the playbook."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch