NFL News: Markus Wheaton Primed To Become Steelers No.1 Quarterback
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 10:17 PM EST
Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Markus Wheaton believed he's headed to a breakout season after playing remarkably well this offseason, Wheaton said during this week's OTA.
Wheaton, who is expected to become the Steelers' no.1 wide receiver heading into the new season, believed he has a chance to be the Steelers' prime receiver, but he's not counting out his other competitors.
"There's a lot of guys chasing that spot and hopefully I can get it first and go from there," Wheaton said. "They're pushing all of us to get better, and whoever wants it the most will take it, so I'm going to do what I can to get that spot."
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger also admitted that he's excited to hook up with the young quarterback, whom he believes has a ton of potentials ahead of him.
"I'm excited to see what he can do," Roethlisberger said. "He's a guy that wants to prove that he can be a starter."
Wheaton is looking forward to become a key contributor for the team after playing limited action last season.
"Being able to sit out last year pretty much helped me," said Wheaton, who caught six passes for 64 yards in limited action. "I learned a lot of the coverages, the adjustments Ben throws at us, the playbook."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People