NFL News: Lions QB Matthew Stafford Quickly Learning New Offense
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 2:13 PM EST
Quarterback Matthew Stafford is quickly learning the new offensive schemes being introduced by the Detroit Lions, according to offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi in an interview with Michigan Live on Thursday.
Lombardi said he was impressed to see Stafford pick up the plays at a remarkable phase, which is pretty much a sign of the quarterback's intelligence.
"He's really remarkably bright," Offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi said. "I've heard that he was a smart player, but the speed and ease with which he picks things up has even surprised me, and I had pretty high expectations coming in."
Though the team is still adjusting to the team new offensive philosophy, Stafford said he's optimistic he and his teammates will finally learn their way around the ropes before the pre-season begins.
"Listen, I know that these plays work," Stafford said in an interview. "I know that the offense that we're developing will work. (At this stage), it's more whether guys are lining up correctly."
Aside from the new plays, Stafford is currently undergoing training to improve his footwork. These drills are considered a scientific approach in order to increase his passing accuracy.
"(Quarterback coach) Jim Bob (Cooter) is working with him a lot, doing a lot of footwork drills and progression drills," Lombardi said. "Like most quarterbacks, when his feet are right, the passes are usually right."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet