NFL News: NY Giants Release QB Josh Freeman
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 2:12 PM EST
The New York Giants decided to release veteran quarterback Josh Freeman after starting quarterback Eli Manning appeared to have found his groove in training camp despite coming off a ankle surgery, NFL News reported on Friday.
After he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and played a horrible start for the Minnesota Vikings, Freeman is a free-agent again after he was waived by the Giants.
The Giants inked Freeman in an attempt to add more insurance in case Manning continues to be bothered by his surgically-repaired ankle. However, the two-time Super Bowl winner took more first team reps, making Freeman dispensable on the roster.
"The release continues a tumultuous eight months for the 26-year-old Freeman. He was benched and then released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in October. Shorty thereafter he signed with the Minnesota Vikings, where he played one horrific game against the Giants," NFL News stated.
"Big Blue signed Freeman not long after starting quarterback Eli Manning underwent ankle surgery. The conventional wisdom suggested that the Giants were grabbing arms in case Manning wasn't ready to thrown during offseason workouts."
Freeman's release allow Ryan Naassib and Curtis Painter to become Manning's backup signal-caller, while the former Buccaneer is expected to try out for another team.
"With Manning appearing back at full-go just seven weeks after ankle surgery, the Giants didn't need the extra arms in camp. Freeman's release paves the way for Nassib to be Mannings backup in 2014. Freeman, on the other hand, will look for a team hoping to squeeze one last chance out of a once-talented player with a turbulent career," NFL News added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate