NFL News: NY Giants Release QB Josh Freeman
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 2:12 PM EST
The New York Giants decided to release veteran quarterback Josh Freeman after starting quarterback Eli Manning appeared to have found his groove in training camp despite coming off a ankle surgery, NFL News reported on Friday.
After he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and played a horrible start for the Minnesota Vikings, Freeman is a free-agent again after he was waived by the Giants.
The Giants inked Freeman in an attempt to add more insurance in case Manning continues to be bothered by his surgically-repaired ankle. However, the two-time Super Bowl winner took more first team reps, making Freeman dispensable on the roster.
"The release continues a tumultuous eight months for the 26-year-old Freeman. He was benched and then released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in October. Shorty thereafter he signed with the Minnesota Vikings, where he played one horrific game against the Giants," NFL News stated.
"Big Blue signed Freeman not long after starting quarterback Eli Manning underwent ankle surgery. The conventional wisdom suggested that the Giants were grabbing arms in case Manning wasn't ready to thrown during offseason workouts."
Freeman's release allow Ryan Naassib and Curtis Painter to become Manning's backup signal-caller, while the former Buccaneer is expected to try out for another team.
"With Manning appearing back at full-go just seven weeks after ankle surgery, the Giants didn't need the extra arms in camp. Freeman's release paves the way for Nassib to be Mannings backup in 2014. Freeman, on the other hand, will look for a team hoping to squeeze one last chance out of a once-talented player with a turbulent career," NFL News added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko