NFL News: NY Giants Release QB Josh Freeman
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 2:12 PM EST
The New York Giants decided to release veteran quarterback Josh Freeman after starting quarterback Eli Manning appeared to have found his groove in training camp despite coming off a ankle surgery, NFL News reported on Friday.
After he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and played a horrible start for the Minnesota Vikings, Freeman is a free-agent again after he was waived by the Giants.
The Giants inked Freeman in an attempt to add more insurance in case Manning continues to be bothered by his surgically-repaired ankle. However, the two-time Super Bowl winner took more first team reps, making Freeman dispensable on the roster.
"The release continues a tumultuous eight months for the 26-year-old Freeman. He was benched and then released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in October. Shorty thereafter he signed with the Minnesota Vikings, where he played one horrific game against the Giants," NFL News stated.
"Big Blue signed Freeman not long after starting quarterback Eli Manning underwent ankle surgery. The conventional wisdom suggested that the Giants were grabbing arms in case Manning wasn't ready to thrown during offseason workouts."
Freeman's release allow Ryan Naassib and Curtis Painter to become Manning's backup signal-caller, while the former Buccaneer is expected to try out for another team.
"With Manning appearing back at full-go just seven weeks after ankle surgery, the Giants didn't need the extra arms in camp. Freeman's release paves the way for Nassib to be Mannings backup in 2014. Freeman, on the other hand, will look for a team hoping to squeeze one last chance out of a once-talented player with a turbulent career," NFL News added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June