NFL News: NY Giants Release QB Josh Freeman
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 2:12 PM EST
The New York Giants decided to release veteran quarterback Josh Freeman after starting quarterback Eli Manning appeared to have found his groove in training camp despite coming off a ankle surgery, NFL News reported on Friday.
After he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and played a horrible start for the Minnesota Vikings, Freeman is a free-agent again after he was waived by the Giants.
The Giants inked Freeman in an attempt to add more insurance in case Manning continues to be bothered by his surgically-repaired ankle. However, the two-time Super Bowl winner took more first team reps, making Freeman dispensable on the roster.
"The release continues a tumultuous eight months for the 26-year-old Freeman. He was benched and then released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in October. Shorty thereafter he signed with the Minnesota Vikings, where he played one horrific game against the Giants," NFL News stated.
"Big Blue signed Freeman not long after starting quarterback Eli Manning underwent ankle surgery. The conventional wisdom suggested that the Giants were grabbing arms in case Manning wasn't ready to thrown during offseason workouts."
Freeman's release allow Ryan Naassib and Curtis Painter to become Manning's backup signal-caller, while the former Buccaneer is expected to try out for another team.
"With Manning appearing back at full-go just seven weeks after ankle surgery, the Giants didn't need the extra arms in camp. Freeman's release paves the way for Nassib to be Mannings backup in 2014. Freeman, on the other hand, will look for a team hoping to squeeze one last chance out of a once-talented player with a turbulent career," NFL News added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change