NFL News: NY Giants Release QB Josh Freeman
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 2:12 PM EST
The New York Giants decided to release veteran quarterback Josh Freeman after starting quarterback Eli Manning appeared to have found his groove in training camp despite coming off a ankle surgery, NFL News reported on Friday.
After he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and played a horrible start for the Minnesota Vikings, Freeman is a free-agent again after he was waived by the Giants.
The Giants inked Freeman in an attempt to add more insurance in case Manning continues to be bothered by his surgically-repaired ankle. However, the two-time Super Bowl winner took more first team reps, making Freeman dispensable on the roster.
"The release continues a tumultuous eight months for the 26-year-old Freeman. He was benched and then released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in October. Shorty thereafter he signed with the Minnesota Vikings, where he played one horrific game against the Giants," NFL News stated.
"Big Blue signed Freeman not long after starting quarterback Eli Manning underwent ankle surgery. The conventional wisdom suggested that the Giants were grabbing arms in case Manning wasn't ready to thrown during offseason workouts."
Freeman's release allow Ryan Naassib and Curtis Painter to become Manning's backup signal-caller, while the former Buccaneer is expected to try out for another team.
"With Manning appearing back at full-go just seven weeks after ankle surgery, the Giants didn't need the extra arms in camp. Freeman's release paves the way for Nassib to be Mannings backup in 2014. Freeman, on the other hand, will look for a team hoping to squeeze one last chance out of a once-talented player with a turbulent career," NFL News added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced