MLB News: Seattle Marines Likely Destination for Matt Kemp
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 2:11 PM EST
The Los Angeles Dodgers could make a move to trade struggling slugger Matt Kemp, who has become a liability both on offense and defense for the team, ESPN MLB analyst David Schoenfield reported.
After being sidelined for majority of the past two seasons with injuries, Kemp is performing woefully at the plate as he's batting .248 with 5 homers and 13 RBIs midway into the season.
Moreover, Kemp hasn't been sharp defensively at center field, forcing manager Don Mattingly to put him at left field while Andre Ethier gets the center field duty.
"It's a little different, but I'm just excited to be able to go out and play," Kemp told ESPN LA's Mark Saxon. "The angles and slices and all that are different, but I'll figure it out. I just have to go get the ball wherever they slice them. I think I'm still a pretty good athlete, so I think I'll be OK."
With this struggle, Schoenfield believed it's about time for the Dodgers to put Kemp on the trading block, with the Seattle Mariners likely a favorable destination.
"Kemp is hitting .255/.317/.438 and there's little doubt that if he was hitting like he did in his MVP runner-up season of 2011 Mattingly would live with his deficiencies on defense. But he isn't and they can't and Andre Ethier gets the time in center for now and while Kemp is going to say all the right things you know he isn't the happiest of ballplayers these days," Schoenfield stated.
"So, should the Dodgers trade Kemp? It makes a lot of sense and the Mariners are the team that should take a chance that Kemp, who turns 30 in September, still has a lot of good baseball left in him."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Signs Using Odom’s Surname; Source Reveals Khloe Still ‘Proud’ Of Being Called Mrs. Odom