NBA News: Steve Kerr Verbally Committed To Coach NY Knicks
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 2:11 PM EST
New York Knicks president Phil Jackson said Steve Kerr made a verbal commitment to join the Knickerbockers before he changed his mind and signed with the Golden State Warriors as their next head coach, the Zen Master said in a press conference on Friday.
Jackson, who is dealing a myriad of problems as the new top executive for basketball operations of the Knicks, revealed that he thought he finally had his next head coach in Kerr after the former Chicago Bulls shooter verbally committed to assume the job.
However, Kerr suddenly had a change of heart once the Warriors coaching job became available, prompting Jackson to let him pick the best option.
''Unfortunately for him, he committed to me the day before the job opened with Golden State. So I had to kind of release him to actually go to this job and say you have to do what's right for yourself,'' Jackson said via Yahoo Sports. ''I understood entirely the process he was going through to have that job open up. That was something he kind of thought would be a good fit for him. So that's good, we're happy for him.''
When asked about the possibility of bringing another protégé in Brian Shaw to the Big Apple, Jackson was pessimistic about it as he believed they are not capable of pulling off another trade with the Nuggets for the service of the coach.
''Brian is under contract with Denver,'' Jackson said. ''Denver has everything that we owned for the last few years, so there's nothing else I want to give them.'
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge