NBA News: Steve Kerr Verbally Committed To Coach NY Knicks
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 2:11 PM EST
New York Knicks president Phil Jackson said Steve Kerr made a verbal commitment to join the Knickerbockers before he changed his mind and signed with the Golden State Warriors as their next head coach, the Zen Master said in a press conference on Friday.
Jackson, who is dealing a myriad of problems as the new top executive for basketball operations of the Knicks, revealed that he thought he finally had his next head coach in Kerr after the former Chicago Bulls shooter verbally committed to assume the job.
However, Kerr suddenly had a change of heart once the Warriors coaching job became available, prompting Jackson to let him pick the best option.
''Unfortunately for him, he committed to me the day before the job opened with Golden State. So I had to kind of release him to actually go to this job and say you have to do what's right for yourself,'' Jackson said via Yahoo Sports. ''I understood entirely the process he was going through to have that job open up. That was something he kind of thought would be a good fit for him. So that's good, we're happy for him.''
When asked about the possibility of bringing another protégé in Brian Shaw to the Big Apple, Jackson was pessimistic about it as he believed they are not capable of pulling off another trade with the Nuggets for the service of the coach.
''Brian is under contract with Denver,'' Jackson said. ''Denver has everything that we owned for the last few years, so there's nothing else I want to give them.'
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related