NBA News: Steve Kerr Verbally Committed To Coach NY Knicks
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 2:11 PM EST
New York Knicks president Phil Jackson said Steve Kerr made a verbal commitment to join the Knickerbockers before he changed his mind and signed with the Golden State Warriors as their next head coach, the Zen Master said in a press conference on Friday.
Jackson, who is dealing a myriad of problems as the new top executive for basketball operations of the Knicks, revealed that he thought he finally had his next head coach in Kerr after the former Chicago Bulls shooter verbally committed to assume the job.
However, Kerr suddenly had a change of heart once the Warriors coaching job became available, prompting Jackson to let him pick the best option.
''Unfortunately for him, he committed to me the day before the job opened with Golden State. So I had to kind of release him to actually go to this job and say you have to do what's right for yourself,'' Jackson said via Yahoo Sports. ''I understood entirely the process he was going through to have that job open up. That was something he kind of thought would be a good fit for him. So that's good, we're happy for him.''
When asked about the possibility of bringing another protégé in Brian Shaw to the Big Apple, Jackson was pessimistic about it as he believed they are not capable of pulling off another trade with the Nuggets for the service of the coach.
''Brian is under contract with Denver,'' Jackson said. ''Denver has everything that we owned for the last few years, so there's nothing else I want to give them.'
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery