NBA News: Phil Jackson Asks Carmelo Anthony to Stay for Year
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 2:11 PM EST
New York Knicks president Phil Jackson said he asked Carmelo Anthony to exercise the final year of his contract and wait until the summer of 2015 to become a free-agent, the 11-time champion head coach confirmed an interview with Yahoo Sports.
After failure to lure Steve Kerr to become the next head coach of the Knicks, Jackson is reportedly trying hard to retain the service of his star player for at least a year before he hits the free-agency market.
''I told him it might be a good idea to hang in here and see what it's like for a year, and go out the next year,'' Jackson said, according to Yahoo Sports.
Anthony, who averaged 27.4 points, 8.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game last season, can opt from the last year of his deal worth $23.3 million to gain longer and more lucrative deals with a championship contending team.
However, Jackson reportedly stressed the importance of keeping Anthony for more future campaigns, as he plans to exhaust all options to build a championship team around him.
''I'm not losing sleep over it, but I'm definitely concerned about the idea of a guy going into free agency,'' Jackson said via Yahoo Sports. ''It only takes one bidder out there that has the ability and can ruin your hopes and your chances.
''We will survive it. That's what I've said and we'll go forward. But this is a guy we recognize his talent and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind out and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that's critical.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown