NBA News: Ballmer’s Failures in Past Leads To Purchase of Clippers
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 31, 2014 2:09 PM EST
The failures of former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to come up with arena deals in three separate occasions has apparently helped him in his bid to purchase the Los Angeles Clippers, according to Brian Windhorst of ESPN.
Ballmer along with California hedge-fund manager Chris Hansen have made aggressive bids to purchase three different NBA teams on sale in the last two years. In their pursuit of re-establishing an NBA franchise in Seattle, the Ballmer and Hansen tandem attempted to buy the Sacramento Kings, Milwaukee Bucks and the Minnesota Timberwolves before its owner pulled his team off the market after receiving $50 million in public money to renovate the Target Center in Minneapolis.
However, their attempts all ended in futility and that prompted Ballmer to make a solo exploration in buying the Clippers once it became available on the market.
"When the Clippers became available, Ballmer moved on from his Seattle aspirations, and he has agreed to purchase 100 percent of the Clippers himself and keep them in Los Angeles," ESPN reported.
"The NBA backed Ballmer in the sales process with Shelly Sterling and likely will grant him a quick and smooth approval. Although it was not Ballmer's intention, the role he played in helping force arena deals in Sacramento and Minnesota plus starting the process in Milwaukee played a role in NBA commissioner Adam Silver helping him land the Clippers, multiple league sources told ESPN."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Manchester United: Van Gaal Warns Stars That He Will Willingly Bench Them
- Top 5 NBA Teams With The Highest Payroll In The 2014-2015 Season
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym