The International 2014: Dota 2 Prize Money Now $7 Million
By Karla Danica Figuerres | May 31, 2014 1:09 PM EST
The value of this year's "Dota 2" world championship grows bigger by the day and Valve has raised more than $7 million prize money for the best team at The International 2014.
With Dota 2 players still buying the Compendium for The International 2014, the crowdfunded campaign becomes unstoppable. Valve confirmed that more than $7 million in prize will be on the line for The International 2014, which is already more than double of what was raised last year. This years' winner will get more money than the combined winnings of everyone else last year.
For those who do not know, The International is the biggest and most revered tournament in the professional Dota scene. Since it launched in 2010, the event offers millions of dollars, drawing hundreds of thousands of spectators in-person and online.
For the previous years, Valve offered "Dota 2" players the opportunity to buy a Compendium for the tournament, which also grants the players access to live streams of regional qualifiers and the tournament.
Buying the $10 Compendium comes with the access to watch every match of The International, plus a significant boost in Battle Points earned. Also, players will be able to level their "Dota 2" profile faster and increase the rarity and rate of their item drops.
Although there is a myriad of ways to level up the Compendium and some of them are free, players still prefer to spend extra bucks on batches of Compendium Points to expedite the process.
As an incentive to players, part of the proceed of all Compendium purchases are directed into the prize pool, which makes it easier for non-Dota players to understand how much money is at stake for playing this video game.
To check what sorts of prizes have "Dota 2" players are throwing money at Valve, you can check the official Web site of The International 2014 Compendium. Thus far, seeing the rate at how the prize pool grows, it would not be surprising to see it grow all the way to the $10 million mark or Valve reveal a third set of stretch goals, which can be reached before July 28.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes