Confirmed Features for Samsung Galaxy S5 Active Release: AT&T Launch and More
By Precious Silva | May 31, 2014 10:51 AM EST
The waterproof features of the Samsung Galaxy S5 became one of its important selling points. Banking on that ability, AT&T wants to put out a device that is more resilient to outside elements. For those looking for a smartphone companion out of more extreme environments, AT&T got them covered with the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active. The device has gone on sale featuring more shock resistance without compromising the premium features of the original S5.
The new Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone (L), Gear 2 smartwatch (C) and Gear Fit fitness band are displayed at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 23, 2014.
AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S5 Active comes with similar features as the original Galaxy S5. The device sports a 5.1-inch 1080p Super AMOLED display, 16MP primary camera, 2.5GHz quad-core processor as well as water and dust proof build. Despite the target market of the device, it still has the heart monitor found on the original flagship.
One standout feature is the "convenience key" found on the phone's side. It provides immediate access to all applications of the device especially those about outdoor activity. Compared to the original flagship, the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active comes with a harder casing. It is still comparatively slim offering a sleek look for a phone intended for harsh environments. The S5 Active's slim design makes it easier to carry it around compared to bulky military style phones.
There are three color variants available: ruby red, titanium grey and camo green. The Verge, on other hand, raises the question whether there is a real demand for phones as such. The original Samsung Galaxy S5 offers additional protection from outside elements compared to most handsets that the Active variant may not stand out as much.
AT&T offers the device starting at $199.99 plus a two-year contract. There are also installment plans available. Other reported features of the device include:
- Android OS, v4.4.2 (KitKat)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 801
- Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400
- Adreno 330
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- SNS integration
- MP4/DivX/XviD/WMV/H.264/H.263 player
- MP3/WAV/eAAC+/AC3/FLAC player
- Image/video editor
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight