‘Game of Thrones’ The Viper vs. The Mountain: Pre-Fight Breakdown
By Riza Ornos | May 31, 2014 10:29 AM EST
With three more episodes left, HBO's epic fantasy series "Game of Thrones" is counting the deaths brought about by this season. The highly-anticipated episode 8 will add more to the body account as it features two of Westeros finest fighters, Oberyn Martell played by Pedro Pascal and Gregor Clegane played by Icelandic actor Hafthor Bjornsson.
"He's nearly a foot taller than me. He's 6-foot-9; I'm 5-foot-11," says Pascal in an interview with TVGuide. "I think he's nearly three times my weight. He's 420 pounds of muscle. It felt like I was with a giant. And then put him in the armor, and his sword alone was exactly my height. It was incredibly intimidating but also really delightful because I think that the character Oberyn really relishes that kind of challenge."
The Dornishman's height was not mentioned on the book, but the Chilean actor only stands 5'11 and he is fighting a 6'9" former basketball player who can move as fast as him. But Oberyn is not just fast but he is also smart than his well-armored adversary, the reason why he confident enough to volunteer as Tyrion's champion.
To avenge his sister's death and her children, the Red Viper has been planning for this fight since he came to Kings Landing, but the question now is will he have the chance to defeat a giant like The Mountain?
A fight that could go down as one of the many great moment of the show, the episode this Sunday will seal the fate of Tyrion Lannister as he asked for trial by combat. "It's not hard for Oberyn to recognize that Tyrion is the smartest man in the room," Pascal added. "Oberyn is not a fan of the Lannisters, so it's not very hard for him to see through the trial and recognize what's really going on."
To get ready for the show's epic fight, the actor was put into classes with a master of Wushu, an acrobatic martial art. He also revealed that his teacher is the same guy who did Shaolin movies with Jet Li and thinks the he is the real deal when it comes to learning the acrobatic skills.
Check out the fight between The Viper and The Mountain in HBO this Sunday, June 1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Spoiler Update: Return of ‘Asylum’ Character
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate