Owner of Manchester United and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Malcom Glazer Dies at 85
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 30, 2014 10:00 PM EST
Malcolm Glazer, owner of Manchester United and Tampa Bay Buccaneers has passed away on May 28 at the age of 85.Glazer has had failing health for sometime after suffering from two strokes in 2006.
Manchester United's ownership will remain the Glazer's family. The Glazers will retain 90% of the team while the remaining 10% is listed in the New York stock exchange. His sons Joel and Avram Glazer have been at the helm of the club for sometime after health issues have hampered the older Glazer's ability to run the club. The passing should not shake up anything in the club's structure apart from the already -planned majr restructuring after the sacking of David Moyes.
"The thoughts of everyone at Manchester United are with the Glazer family tonight following the news that Malcolm Glazer has passed away." said a statement on Manchester United's official Web site.
NFL team, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, would remain also remain in the family
"The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are saddened to announce the passing of owner/president Malcolm Glazer earlier this morning." said a statement on the Buccaneers' Web site.
Linda Glazer, Malcolm's wife, along with their five sons and daughter will continue to own and operate both teams as they have before Malcolm's passing after he has efficiently planned succession within his family a long time before his death.
The Glazer family obtained Manchester United, one of the most marketable football clubs in the world, back in June 2005 after a long process which started in September 2003. The family now controls 147 million shares in the club with a total value of approximately $2,2 billion.
During the time since Glazer acquired the club, they won five Premiere League titles, three League Cups and a UEFA Champions League title in 2008 all under Sir Alex Ferguson.
The Glazer family bought the Bucs in 1995 for a then-NFL record of $192 million. And while Glazer once said he probably overpaid by $50 million, the value of the team has more than quadrupled since he assumed control.
Glazer's first foray into entrepreneurship started when he was only 15 years old after inheriting a watch-parts business from his father. He now holds a vast portfolio of international holdings including the Buccaneers (valued over $1 billion) and a real estate company (First Allied Corporation) that owns 6.7 million square feet of shopping center space across 17 states.
The man from Rochester, New York, was one of seven children and leaves behind his wife, Linda, their five sons, Avram, Kevin, Brian, Joel and Edward, and their daughter, Darcie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko