Owner of Manchester United and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Malcom Glazer Dies at 85
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 30, 2014 10:00 PM EST
Malcolm Glazer, owner of Manchester United and Tampa Bay Buccaneers has passed away on May 28 at the age of 85.Glazer has had failing health for sometime after suffering from two strokes in 2006.
Manchester United's ownership will remain the Glazer's family. The Glazers will retain 90% of the team while the remaining 10% is listed in the New York stock exchange. His sons Joel and Avram Glazer have been at the helm of the club for sometime after health issues have hampered the older Glazer's ability to run the club. The passing should not shake up anything in the club's structure apart from the already -planned majr restructuring after the sacking of David Moyes.
"The thoughts of everyone at Manchester United are with the Glazer family tonight following the news that Malcolm Glazer has passed away." said a statement on Manchester United's official Web site.
NFL team, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, would remain also remain in the family
"The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are saddened to announce the passing of owner/president Malcolm Glazer earlier this morning." said a statement on the Buccaneers' Web site.
Linda Glazer, Malcolm's wife, along with their five sons and daughter will continue to own and operate both teams as they have before Malcolm's passing after he has efficiently planned succession within his family a long time before his death.
The Glazer family obtained Manchester United, one of the most marketable football clubs in the world, back in June 2005 after a long process which started in September 2003. The family now controls 147 million shares in the club with a total value of approximately $2,2 billion.
During the time since Glazer acquired the club, they won five Premiere League titles, three League Cups and a UEFA Champions League title in 2008 all under Sir Alex Ferguson.
The Glazer family bought the Bucs in 1995 for a then-NFL record of $192 million. And while Glazer once said he probably overpaid by $50 million, the value of the team has more than quadrupled since he assumed control.
Glazer's first foray into entrepreneurship started when he was only 15 years old after inheriting a watch-parts business from his father. He now holds a vast portfolio of international holdings including the Buccaneers (valued over $1 billion) and a real estate company (First Allied Corporation) that owns 6.7 million square feet of shopping center space across 17 states.
The man from Rochester, New York, was one of seven children and leaves behind his wife, Linda, their five sons, Avram, Kevin, Brian, Joel and Edward, and their daughter, Darcie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga