French Open Women's Singles: Day 5 Results
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 30, 2014 9:56 PM EST
The first five days of the 2014 French Open has been concluded and the verdict has been passed on the fates of many. The women's draw saw many of the top seeds fail to make it out of the first two rounds and a new winner just might come out this year.
Maria Sharapova of Russia hits a return to compatriot Ksenia Pervak during their women's singles match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 26, 2014.
2011 Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova will facing 2009 French Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova. One of the highest seeds still remaining in the competition, 5th seeded Kvitova breezed through her second round match in only 67 minutes.
Petra Kvitova (5) def. Marina Erakovic 6-4,6-4
Svetlana Kuznetsova (27) def. Camila Giorgi 7-6(5), 6-3
Sara Errani who came up short in 2012 and lost in the finals might have another good chance this year as she made short work out of her second round opponent.
Sara Errani def. Dinah Pfizenmaier 6-2, 6-4
Jelena Jancovic and Ana Ivanovic will be looking to set up an all Serbian final again this year just like they did in 2008 with Ana Ivanovic coming up on top. This year, Jankovic will attempt to do one better as she takes one step closer to the goal. She somes in the tournament seeded higher this time but it's still a long way to go to the final.Bothe Serbian girls are still on track and would definitely be a pair to watch
Jelena Jankovic (6) def. Kurumi Nara 7-5, 6-0
Ana Ivanovic (11) def. Elina Svitolina 7-5, 6-2
With the top seeds out of the way, 4th seeded Simona Halep and Maria Sharapova might be the two players who will stand in the way of an all-Serbian final. Romanian star Halep quickly rose to fame this year with 58 match wins and seven titles. She also made an appearance at the quarter-finals of the Australian Open and the recent final in Madrid. This has all contributed to propelling her to world No.4,
Simona Halep (4) def. Heather Watson 6-2 6-4
Maria Sharapova (7) def. Tsvetana Pironkova 7-5, 6-2
The curse on the seeded players still continued into the fifth day as several more seeds found themselves defeated by lower ranked players. 24th seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova was forced to retire in the third set of her match against qualifier Kiki Bertens while she was already down 0-3.
Julia Glushko , ranked 98th has not really had any god results in the last 11 events that she has played, going out either in qualifying or in the first round. However, she has booked a third round berth in Roland Garros after she brought down 2013 Wimbledon semi-finalist Kirsten Flipkens
Julia Glushko def. Kirsten Flipkens (21), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
Another low ranking player who found her moment to shine in Roland Garros was 85th ranked Silvia Soler-Espinosa of Spain. She took out Yanina Wickmayer who was responsible for taking out former world number 1 Caroline Wozniacki in the first round.
Silvia Soler-Espinosa def. Yanina Wickmayer 6-2, 6-4
With the highest ranked French hope out of the competition, it was up to the wildcards and longshots to keep the home crowd alive. 145 ranked Pauline Parmentier and world number 103 Kristina Mladenovic both managed to advance to the third round. Mladenovic is having a stellar event after she took out Li Na in the first round.
Pauline Parmentier def. Yaroslova Shvedova 1-6, 6-3, 6-3.
Kristina Mladenovic def. Alison Riske. 7-6(5), 3-6, 6-3
Ekaterina Makarova (22) def. Coco Vandeweghe 6-4, 6-3
Sorana Cirstea (26) def. Teliana Pereira 6-2, 7-5
Lucie Safarova (23) def. Casey Dellacqa 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
Andrea Petkovic(28) def. Stefanie Voegele 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
See full brackets and results in the Official French Open Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced