HBO’s ‘The Leftovers’: Justin Theroux Features in the Story of Living Reminders, Premiere Date [VIDEO]
By Anshu Shrivastava | May 30, 2014 6:04 PM EST
HBO's new series "The Leftovers" is about people who were left behind when 2 per cent of the world population disappeared, mysteriously, in an unexplained event. The series is based on Tom Perrotta's book of the same name. Perrotta and creator of "Lost," Damon Lindelof, have written "The Leftovers."
"This show is about the condition of living in a post-apocalyptic world where, if you look out the window, it doesn't look like the apocalypse happened," Lindelof said to New York Times. "But it did."
The show, featuring the living reminders, picks-ups three years after the rupture that made 2 per cent of the world population vanish. Justin Theroux is playing the role of Kevin Garvey, the chief of police of Mapleton, which is a fictional suburb of New York.
This suburb has lost more than 100 people and the people here are trying to build their lives after the loss. Theroux's character is a father of two. His wife had abandoned him, while his son has quit college to follow a spiritual guru. He lives with his daughter who is an introspective teenager.
Talking about his character, Theroux said to Channel Guide Magazine, "he's constantly looking for a place -- he's looking for warmth somewhere, through his daughter, through his ex-wife, through his job and the people he works with, and he's also trying to hold the centre as much as possible. It's a bit like being at the centre of a Tilt-a-Whirl and the centrifugal force of the way the town is moving. He can't get his arms around it."
The teaser of "The Leftover," provides the five stages of dealing with the unexplainable event and the grief -- anger, denial, bargaining, depression and acceptance.
"The Leftover" is scheduled to premiere on June 29, 2014. HBO has given it a full season order. Peter Berg has directed the pilot episode.
In addition to Theroux, the show also stars Liv Tyler, Carrie Coon, Ann Dowd, Amanda Warren, Chris Zylka, Margaret Qualley, Michael Gaston, Max Carver, Charlie Carver, Annie Q, Paterson Joseph, Brad Leland, Amy Brenneman, and Emily Meade.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal