24-Year-Old Aussie Man With Scrotum as Big as Watermelon & Inverted Penis Urgently Needs Surgery
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 30, 2014 5:03 PM EST
Tyrone Bowd, a 24-year-old Australian, has a big problem that needs immediate surgery. Otherwise, his life could be endangered.
Over 2,000 women had cosmetic surgery on their vaginas in 2010 (Reuters)
Bowd is suffering from scrotal lymphedema, diagnosed a year ago, which caused his scrotum to swell as big as a watermelon and keeps on growing that it is already down to his knees.
The medical condition has affected Bowd's quality of life, worsened by his also having an inverted penis which places him at risk of dangerous infections.
Tanya, his mother and full-time carer, said Tyrone needs help to go to the toilet because of difficulty walking. He broke his leg in a motorbike accident earlier this year because his enlarged testicles made it difficult for him to drive the motorbike.
Tanya is seeking to raise A$5,700 for his surgery which needs to be done in the U.S. because of the lack of doctors in Australia who could perform the operation. The mum of four said, "No one can help us in Australia. I had doctors discuss building a team to give surgery a go only to be told by a urologist that if I was to sign on the dotted line and allow anyone in Australia to operate I would be signing my son's life away."
The doctor who would perform the medical procedure in the U.S. is California specialist, Dr Joel Geldman who has done a similar surgery on a man with a 60 kilogramme scrotum. The patient's penis and scrotum were preserved. He is from the University of California's Center for Reconstructive Urology.
To raise more funds, Tanya is organising a funderaiser in Ipswich, Queensland.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate