24-Year-Old Aussie Man With Scrotum as Big as Watermelon & Inverted Penis Urgently Needs Surgery
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 30, 2014 5:03 PM EST
Tyrone Bowd, a 24-year-old Australian, has a big problem that needs immediate surgery. Otherwise, his life could be endangered.
Over 2,000 women had cosmetic surgery on their vaginas in 2010 (Reuters)
Bowd is suffering from scrotal lymphedema, diagnosed a year ago, which caused his scrotum to swell as big as a watermelon and keeps on growing that it is already down to his knees.
The medical condition has affected Bowd's quality of life, worsened by his also having an inverted penis which places him at risk of dangerous infections.
Tanya, his mother and full-time carer, said Tyrone needs help to go to the toilet because of difficulty walking. He broke his leg in a motorbike accident earlier this year because his enlarged testicles made it difficult for him to drive the motorbike.
Tanya is seeking to raise A$5,700 for his surgery which needs to be done in the U.S. because of the lack of doctors in Australia who could perform the operation. The mum of four said, "No one can help us in Australia. I had doctors discuss building a team to give surgery a go only to be told by a urologist that if I was to sign on the dotted line and allow anyone in Australia to operate I would be signing my son's life away."
The doctor who would perform the medical procedure in the U.S. is California specialist, Dr Joel Geldman who has done a similar surgery on a man with a 60 kilogramme scrotum. The patient's penis and scrotum were preserved. He is from the University of California's Center for Reconstructive Urology.
To raise more funds, Tanya is organising a funderaiser in Ipswich, Queensland.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Luckiest Koala: Hit by a Car and Hung On To It From Maryborough to Gympie
- UK Converts Coal Plants Into Solar Cell Farms
- New Technology to Build Invisible Material Using Light: Study Says
- Health Experts Plead Action to Prevent Skin Cancer Epidemic in New Zealand
- A Wild Ride, Orbital Sex Mission: Satellite Carrying Russian Geckos Regains Control After Losing Contact
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]