Record $2 Billion for Los Angeles Clippers, Former Microsoft CEO Wins Bid
By James Patrick Quizon | May 30, 2014 2:17 PM EST
Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer answers questions at the company's annual shareholder meeting in Bellevue, Washington in this file photo taken November 19, 2013.
The Los Angeles Times is reporting Ballmer’s bid was higher than the $1.6B tender from Los Angeles-based investors Tony Ressler and Bruce Karsh and the $1.2B offer from the Guggenhein Group, the Chicago-based owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. The latter group also included David Geffen, the founder of DreamWorks SKG, Asylum Records, Geffen Records, and DGC Records.
If the sale goes through, Donald Sterling will have a 15,900 per cent return of investment for the franchise he bought for $12.5 million in 1981. It would be four times higher than the previous high for sale of an NBA franchise; the Milwaukee Bucks got sold for $550M earlier in May.
Sterling was forced to sell the team after racists comments by the owner were made public in April.
There are mixed reports that Sterling won’t sell the team and that he will fight the NBA “to the bitter end” but agreement between Ballmer and Clippers co-owner Shelly Sterling, the wife of Donald were made on Thursday for the deal to be consummated.
"There's been no sale. There can be no sale without Donald's signature," according to Bobby Samini, who represents Donald Sterling.
Aside from the approval of Sterling, three-fourths of all the 30 NBA owners need to vote for the sale.
The 58-year-old Ballmer was the CEO of Microsoft from January 2000 to February 2014. His personal worth is estimated at $20.7 billion and ranks 32nd in the Forbes 400 list.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28