Record $2 Billion for Los Angeles Clippers, Former Microsoft CEO Wins Bid
By James Patrick Quizon | May 30, 2014 2:17 PM EST
Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer answers questions at the company's annual shareholder meeting in Bellevue, Washington in this file photo taken November 19, 2013.
The Los Angeles Times is reporting Ballmer’s bid was higher than the $1.6B tender from Los Angeles-based investors Tony Ressler and Bruce Karsh and the $1.2B offer from the Guggenhein Group, the Chicago-based owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. The latter group also included David Geffen, the founder of DreamWorks SKG, Asylum Records, Geffen Records, and DGC Records.
If the sale goes through, Donald Sterling will have a 15,900 per cent return of investment for the franchise he bought for $12.5 million in 1981. It would be four times higher than the previous high for sale of an NBA franchise; the Milwaukee Bucks got sold for $550M earlier in May.
Sterling was forced to sell the team after racists comments by the owner were made public in April.
There are mixed reports that Sterling won’t sell the team and that he will fight the NBA “to the bitter end” but agreement between Ballmer and Clippers co-owner Shelly Sterling, the wife of Donald were made on Thursday for the deal to be consummated.
"There's been no sale. There can be no sale without Donald's signature," according to Bobby Samini, who represents Donald Sterling.
Aside from the approval of Sterling, three-fourths of all the 30 NBA owners need to vote for the sale.
The 58-year-old Ballmer was the CEO of Microsoft from January 2000 to February 2014. His personal worth is estimated at $20.7 billion and ranks 32nd in the Forbes 400 list.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best