Record $2 Billion for Los Angeles Clippers, Former Microsoft CEO Wins Bid
By James Patrick Quizon | May 30, 2014 2:17 PM EST
Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer answers questions at the company's annual shareholder meeting in Bellevue, Washington in this file photo taken November 19, 2013.
The Los Angeles Times is reporting Ballmer’s bid was higher than the $1.6B tender from Los Angeles-based investors Tony Ressler and Bruce Karsh and the $1.2B offer from the Guggenhein Group, the Chicago-based owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. The latter group also included David Geffen, the founder of DreamWorks SKG, Asylum Records, Geffen Records, and DGC Records.
If the sale goes through, Donald Sterling will have a 15,900 per cent return of investment for the franchise he bought for $12.5 million in 1981. It would be four times higher than the previous high for sale of an NBA franchise; the Milwaukee Bucks got sold for $550M earlier in May.
Sterling was forced to sell the team after racists comments by the owner were made public in April.
There are mixed reports that Sterling won’t sell the team and that he will fight the NBA “to the bitter end” but agreement between Ballmer and Clippers co-owner Shelly Sterling, the wife of Donald were made on Thursday for the deal to be consummated.
"There's been no sale. There can be no sale without Donald's signature," according to Bobby Samini, who represents Donald Sterling.
Aside from the approval of Sterling, three-fourths of all the 30 NBA owners need to vote for the sale.
The 58-year-old Ballmer was the CEO of Microsoft from January 2000 to February 2014. His personal worth is estimated at $20.7 billion and ranks 32nd in the Forbes 400 list.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates