Coldplay's New Album 'Ghost Stories' Hits Biggest Album Release for 2014: Takes Inspiration from Frontman's Latest Breakup
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 30, 2014 1:52 PM EST
Coldplay's newest album titled "Ghost Stories" lands at the top spot of the Billboard 200 chart for the best selling album debut of 2014 to date. Coldplay adds the new album as its fourth No. 1 in their record. The album recounts lead singer Chris Martin's breakup with actress Gwyneth Paltrow.
Ghost Stories was released May 19, and is the fourth No. 1 studio effort for the band. The new album sold 383,000 copies in the week through May 25, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Coldplay's albums "Mylo Xyloto" (2011), "X&Y" (2005), and "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends" (2008) also hit the No. 1 spot on Billboard.
Coldplay's latest album is also the highest selling debut album surging ahead of Beyonce's album that was released in December.
Ghost Stories also beat the Black Key's "Turn Blue" from Billboard's No. 1 spot. Coldplay's new album is still not as big as its previous album No. 1 releases, where "Mylo" sold 447,000 copies, and the two other albums sold more than 700,000 each, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
Billboard reported that a big factor for the Ghost Stories' increase in sales was due to the digital downloads. Coldplay's new album becomes the largest widely-available digital album sold to date.
Coldplay's lead vocalist Chris Martin said that his breakup with Gwyneth Paltrow was an inspiration to the new album. Martin revealed that the breakup has something to do with his own issues. He added that he had troubles enjoying his personal and professional life, which led him and Paltrow apart.
Martin wasn't mentioning Paltrow as the main cause of their breakup. He continued that he was a mess because he can't enjoy his band and the things around him. Martin said he didn't open himself up to the love that his wife, family, and friends gave him. He concluded that he was burdened by this fact, and he has no one to blame for it but himself.
"What we decided to do on Ghost Stories was to really be honest about it and say, this is what's been happening," said Martin, according to E! Online.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone