‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5: Introduction of Lady’s Maid to Violet, Creator Gets ‘Doctor Who’ Inspired
By Anshu Shrivastava | May 30, 2014 1:07 PM EST
Sue Johnston is the latest actor to join the cast-list of "Downton Abbey" Season 5. She will be seen in a guest role, playing a character called Denker.
Denker will be introduced as Lady's Maid to Violet, the Dowager Countess of Grantham. Johnston is not the only one who will guest star in the upcoming season 5 of the popular period drama, "Downton Abbey."
As previously reported, Richard E. Grant, Anna Chancellor and Rade Sherbedgia have been roped-in, as well. Grant is playing the character called Simon Bricker. He will be seen visiting Downton Abbey as a guest of the Granthams.
Chancellor also joins the cast to play the character of Lady Anstruther. It is a guest role. Sherbedgia will be playing a Russian refugee, Kuragin, who has fled the Russian revolution after the First World War.
Dame Harriet Walter will be returning to reprise her role as Lady Shackleton, along with Peter Egan, returning as Lord Flintshire, according to a statement released by ITV.
Meanwhile, Julian Fellowes, creator of "Downton Abbey," wants to have simultaneous broadcast of his show in Britain and America. The broadcast of "Doctor Who" 50th anniversary special, which was telecasted in 75 countries at the same time, has inspired Fellowes.
"I want to have simultaneous transmission in America and Britain," he said to Telegraph. "The difficulty that we have is that people are discussing the series as it happens online before America's seen it and on the internet we're all in the same company. It's madness."
"The BBC have shown it can be done because they did it with "Doctor Who" so all this talk that it's impossible is wrong," he said.
"Downton Abbey" airs on Channel 7 in Australia. The Season 4 premiered on Feb. 23, 2014 in Australia, while in the U.S. the premiere date was January 05, 2014. And, it premiered on September 22, 2013 in UK.
In Britain, "Downton Abbey" is expected to return sometime this autumn with Season 5. And, again at Christmas 2014, a feature length episode will be telecasted. The broadcast of Season 5 in the U.S. and Australian is likely to happen in 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar