'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Get to Know the Other Mutants
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 30, 2014 1:01 PM EST
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" (DOFP) was a success in the Memorial Day Weekend box office earning $111 million gross, which is the X-Men film franchise's best to date. The likes of the mutants Wolverine, Mystique, Magneto, Professor X, and Quicksilver's roles had been getting positive feedback from critics and fans. But the recent X-Men movie will not be a success without the other mutants' involvement in the story.
British actors Patrick Stewart (L-R), James McAvoy, Ian McKellen and Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender arrive for the British premiere of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at Leicester Square in London in this May 12, 2014, file photo.
For viewers who have only been newly introduced to the X-Men movies, there are several unfamiliar characters gracing the opening scenes that will raise everyone's curiosity. In the beginning of the movie, viewers might easily identify the likes of Collosus, Iceman, and Storm. But there are the other few surviving mutants in the team of Professor X and Magneto who fought against the overpowering Sentinels.
Listed below are the X-Men mutants in the sentinel-threatened "future" in DOFP.
Kitty Pryde or known as Shadowcat (played by Ellen Page) played one of the most important roles in the DOFP movie. In the opening scenes, she helped the remaining group of mutants have two more chances (technically) in the future by running off with Bishop, and bringing them all back to the past. She later then used her powers to bring Wolverine back to 1973 to change past events and avoid a Sentinel-dominated future. Her main ability is called "phasing" or "quantum tunneling." She can pass through any physical object, and can extend the ability to other people and object by touching them. In DOFP, Kitty had the secondary ability of transporting people's consciousness back in time, which she doesn't originally possess in the comics. This past-future telepath ability originally belonged to the "Uncanny X-Men's" Rachel Summers.
Lucas Bishop (Omar Sy) was the first mutant to experience the time-travel powers of Kitty on DOFP, delaying their apparent doom in the hands of the Sentinels. In the comics, Bishop was a member of Prof. X's Security Enforcers, but was later portrayed an antagonist to the X-Men team. Bishop played an important role in X-Men's "Age of Apocalypse" where he sacrificed himself taking a massive psionic blast from Onslaught to protect the X-men. Bishop has the passive ability to absorb radiant and conductive energy and release it using a huge gun that fires laser beams.
Bobby Drake or Iceman (Shawn Ashmore) was portrayed as Kitty's boyfriend in DOFP. Iceman can make strong solid ice that will not break unless he wills it. He can make all sorts of ice shapes and figures like shields, ladders, and slides. His ability ultimately gives him an overall ice body armor. Comic book writer Mike Carey even once said in an interview that Iceman is an "Omega level mutant" because his powers can influence the ecosystem of the world.
Clarice Ferguson or known as Blink (BingBing Fan) has the ability to open multiple dimensional portals that can quickly teleport her and others to various locations. In the comics, Blink was described as an unstable mutant. Blink's portals can also teleport different object parts and use them offensively. Her powers can also be used in redirecting harmful enemy projectiles.
Roberto da Costa or Sunspot (Adan Canto) was the mutant in the DOFP film that projected volcanic-like flames against the Sentinels. In the comics, Sunspot has the ability to absorn solar power and convert it to physical strength. While Sunspot was portrayed having the appearance of the sun's surface and blasting flames at enemies in the movie, his original abilities in the comics only include superhuman strength converted from absorbing solar energy. Sunspot's overall appearance only becomes black in the comic books.
James Proudstar nicknamed Warpath (Booboo Stewart) was the long-haired mutant who warned the remaining X-men group of the Sentinel's arrival in DOFP. In the comic books, Warpath has the ability of superhuman strength and speed. His physical strength can go at par with Juggernaut's. Warpath has also an increased sense of sight, hearing, and smell.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 15, 2014: Liam Confronts Quinn About Her Secret Regarding Paris [WATCH VIDEO]
- Norman Reedus Instagrams ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Poster Featuring Rick Grimes With A Twist
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown