'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Get to Know the Other Mutants
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 30, 2014 1:01 PM EST
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" (DOFP) was a success in the Memorial Day Weekend box office earning $111 million gross, which is the X-Men film franchise's best to date. The likes of the mutants Wolverine, Mystique, Magneto, Professor X, and Quicksilver's roles had been getting positive feedback from critics and fans. But the recent X-Men movie will not be a success without the other mutants' involvement in the story.
British actors Patrick Stewart (L-R), James McAvoy, Ian McKellen and Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender arrive for the British premiere of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at Leicester Square in London in this May 12, 2014, file photo.
For viewers who have only been newly introduced to the X-Men movies, there are several unfamiliar characters gracing the opening scenes that will raise everyone's curiosity. In the beginning of the movie, viewers might easily identify the likes of Collosus, Iceman, and Storm. But there are the other few surviving mutants in the team of Professor X and Magneto who fought against the overpowering Sentinels.
Listed below are the X-Men mutants in the sentinel-threatened "future" in DOFP.
Kitty Pryde or known as Shadowcat (played by Ellen Page) played one of the most important roles in the DOFP movie. In the opening scenes, she helped the remaining group of mutants have two more chances (technically) in the future by running off with Bishop, and bringing them all back to the past. She later then used her powers to bring Wolverine back to 1973 to change past events and avoid a Sentinel-dominated future. Her main ability is called "phasing" or "quantum tunneling." She can pass through any physical object, and can extend the ability to other people and object by touching them. In DOFP, Kitty had the secondary ability of transporting people's consciousness back in time, which she doesn't originally possess in the comics. This past-future telepath ability originally belonged to the "Uncanny X-Men's" Rachel Summers.
Lucas Bishop (Omar Sy) was the first mutant to experience the time-travel powers of Kitty on DOFP, delaying their apparent doom in the hands of the Sentinels. In the comics, Bishop was a member of Prof. X's Security Enforcers, but was later portrayed an antagonist to the X-Men team. Bishop played an important role in X-Men's "Age of Apocalypse" where he sacrificed himself taking a massive psionic blast from Onslaught to protect the X-men. Bishop has the passive ability to absorb radiant and conductive energy and release it using a huge gun that fires laser beams.
Bobby Drake or Iceman (Shawn Ashmore) was portrayed as Kitty's boyfriend in DOFP. Iceman can make strong solid ice that will not break unless he wills it. He can make all sorts of ice shapes and figures like shields, ladders, and slides. His ability ultimately gives him an overall ice body armor. Comic book writer Mike Carey even once said in an interview that Iceman is an "Omega level mutant" because his powers can influence the ecosystem of the world.
Clarice Ferguson or known as Blink (BingBing Fan) has the ability to open multiple dimensional portals that can quickly teleport her and others to various locations. In the comics, Blink was described as an unstable mutant. Blink's portals can also teleport different object parts and use them offensively. Her powers can also be used in redirecting harmful enemy projectiles.
Roberto da Costa or Sunspot (Adan Canto) was the mutant in the DOFP film that projected volcanic-like flames against the Sentinels. In the comics, Sunspot has the ability to absorn solar power and convert it to physical strength. While Sunspot was portrayed having the appearance of the sun's surface and blasting flames at enemies in the movie, his original abilities in the comics only include superhuman strength converted from absorbing solar energy. Sunspot's overall appearance only becomes black in the comic books.
James Proudstar nicknamed Warpath (Booboo Stewart) was the long-haired mutant who warned the remaining X-men group of the Sentinel's arrival in DOFP. In the comic books, Warpath has the ability of superhuman strength and speed. His physical strength can go at par with Juggernaut's. Warpath has also an increased sense of sight, hearing, and smell.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Will Feature Nude Scene Confirmed—Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1: ‘The Biggest Action Sequence That We Have Ever Attempted’ [VIDEO]
- 'Terminator' 5 And 'Jurassic World' Trailers To Be Released Soon
- ‘Star Wars’ 7 Plot Leak – New Villain And Stormtroopers New Look [Spoilers]
- 'Doctor Who' Casting News: 'GOT' Actress Rose Leslie Favoured To Play As 'Clara Oswald'
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display