German Chancellor Angela Merkel Keeps Most Powerful Woman Title for 4th Year in a Row, Australian Miner Gina Rinehart Slips to 27th from 16th Place
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 30, 2014 8:28 AM EST
German Chancellor Angela Merkel retained her most powerful woman status Forbes magazine's list released on Thursday. It is the fourth straight year that she was recognised for wielding power, but she has been number 1 on the list nine times.
Despite tax revenue increases Angela Merkel will keep a watchful eye on spending (Reuters)
On second place is U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen who made it to the list for the first time because of her being the first female to lead the U.S. central bank.
Third placer is Melinda Gates, co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and wife of the founder of Microsoft.
Gina Rinehart, Australia's richest person and at one point the wealthiest woman in the world, is ranked 27th as she slipped from her 2013 ranking of 16th. Rinehart owns Hancock Prospecting, which is into mining of iron ore and coal.
Gail Kelly, chief executive of Westpac and the only other Australian on the list of the top 100 powerful women in the world, moved up to 56th place from 62nd spot in 2013, while kicked out of the list is Australia's first female prime minister, Julia Gillard, who last year was in 28thplace.
Forbes drew the list from a preliminary list of 250 candidates from different parts of the world from eight categories, namely: billionaires, business, celebrity, finance, media, philanthropy and NGOs, politics and technology.
In ranking them per category and overall rank, the magazine based it on money, media presence, spheres of influence and impact.
Rounding up the top 10 are Brazilian President Dilma Rouseff, IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde, former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, General Motors CEO Mary Barra, U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama, Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg and IBM CEO Virginia Rometty.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 19, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 19, 2014
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best