2014 French Open: Roger Federer Into the Third Round
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 29, 2014 9:52 PM EST
Roger Federer is off to the third round of the 2014 French Open after beating Argentina's Diego Sebastian Schwartzman on May 28. The final score was 6-3, 6-4, 6-4.
According to ATPworldtour.com, Federer's victory over the 109-ranked Schwartzman was his 60th victory at the French Open. The 17-time Grand Slam champion reportedly also "extended his winning streak to 20 matches against qualifiers at Grand Slam championships," the Web site further reported.
Roger Federer of Switzerland acknowledges spectators after winning his men's singles match against Diego Sebastian Schwartzman of Argentina at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 28, 2014. REUTERS/Jean-Paul Pelissier
"I think it was kind of tough all the way through for me," said Federer. "I didn't feel relaxed for the entire match," Federer added. The 32-year-old Swiss athlete said that the Argentine qualifier had put him under pressure.
"He managed to put pressure on me and keep the pressure on me."
Schwartzman delivered exemplary skills during the match, especially when he broke Federer's serve in the third game. Federer proved that he is still the better player, but he still has a lot of nice things to say about Schwartzman.
"He was doing a really good job being aggressive and making good plays," Federer said as posted on the tournament's official Web site. "He managed to put pressure on me and keep it on."
"Clearly because of his height, he doesn't have the biggest serve, and that kept me sometimes in two minds, but he handled the conditions very well."
"He's probably going to move up the rankings."
"He's very steady, very fast, got some good qualities."
Federer will play against Dimitry Tursunov in the third round. Federer and Tursonov have played four times against each other. Tursonov had not won a single match against Federer based on the head-to-head stats report of Tennis.matchstat.com. The last match between them was in Southern California at the 2014 Indian Wells.
Will Federer continue his winning streak against Tursonov to pave his way to win another Grand Slam title?
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports