2014 French Open: Roger Federer Into the Third Round
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 29, 2014 9:52 PM EST
Roger Federer is off to the third round of the 2014 French Open after beating Argentina's Diego Sebastian Schwartzman on May 28. The final score was 6-3, 6-4, 6-4.
According to ATPworldtour.com, Federer's victory over the 109-ranked Schwartzman was his 60th victory at the French Open. The 17-time Grand Slam champion reportedly also "extended his winning streak to 20 matches against qualifiers at Grand Slam championships," the Web site further reported.
Roger Federer of Switzerland acknowledges spectators after winning his men's singles match against Diego Sebastian Schwartzman of Argentina at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 28, 2014. REUTERS/Jean-Paul Pelissier
"I think it was kind of tough all the way through for me," said Federer. "I didn't feel relaxed for the entire match," Federer added. The 32-year-old Swiss athlete said that the Argentine qualifier had put him under pressure.
"He managed to put pressure on me and keep the pressure on me."
Schwartzman delivered exemplary skills during the match, especially when he broke Federer's serve in the third game. Federer proved that he is still the better player, but he still has a lot of nice things to say about Schwartzman.
"He was doing a really good job being aggressive and making good plays," Federer said as posted on the tournament's official Web site. "He managed to put pressure on me and keep it on."
"Clearly because of his height, he doesn't have the biggest serve, and that kept me sometimes in two minds, but he handled the conditions very well."
"He's probably going to move up the rankings."
"He's very steady, very fast, got some good qualities."
Federer will play against Dimitry Tursunov in the third round. Federer and Tursonov have played four times against each other. Tursonov had not won a single match against Federer based on the head-to-head stats report of Tennis.matchstat.com. The last match between them was in Southern California at the 2014 Indian Wells.
Will Federer continue his winning streak against Tursonov to pave his way to win another Grand Slam title?
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones