Google Free Malware Detection Tool For Mac Uses 50 Different Antivirus Engines
By Karla Danica Figuerres | May 29, 2014 9:29 PM EST
VirusTotal Mac OSX Uploader, Google's new release, features free antivirus software for Mac that will scan suspicious files and folders for possible malware or viruses.
Recently, Google unveiled the VirusTotal Uploader for OS X enabling Mac users to scan suspicious folders. With this software, Mac OSX users can now scan and check suspicious files such as email attachments and other potential downloads for malware detection. The tool gathers data from 50 different antivirus engines to search for malicious files or folders before users can open or download them.
VirusTotal Uploader has been available for Windows for quite some time. Prior to the release of the antivirus tool for Mac, the new software reached a high popularity among Windows PC users as a trusted approach to send suspicious files for scanning via online through VirusTotal.
Google developed VirusTotal in September 2012. The company still work independently at this time. Also, Google wishes that its latest application for Mac will be acceptable in more Mac applications, giving the company a chance in "diving deeper into an increasingly targeted OS by attackers and allowing antivirus companies and researchers making use of VirusTotal's backend to build stronger defenses against these threats."
This new Google tool, VirusTotal, can scan single files of Mac, Mac applications or even the other files or folder. Users simply need to drag and drop the items in question onto the VirusTotal Mac OS X Uploader's interface or they can just scan by right clicking on the file or folder and use the "open with" menu.
VirusTotal should not be treated as comprehensive anti-malware software. It does serve as a valuable file-scanning tool. It also shares malicious files identified with antivirus vendors, which will also be useful for all the users making the software safer. Google's VirusTotal's is available for Mac users for free.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family