New York State Assembly Greenlights Medical Marijuana Bill
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 29, 2014 4:30 PM EST
The State Assembly of New York on Tuesday has passed a legislation legalising medical marijuana in the area. But will it also sail through the Senate this time? This is the fifth time, in a span of 7 years, the assembly has passed a medical marijuana bill.
Demonstrators smoke a giant joint of cannabis during a pro-marijuana legalization march in Brasilia May 23, 2014.
The bill "is really about a simple concept, which is to alleviate suffering," according to Senator Brad Hoylman, as qouted by the Huffington Post.
Known as the Compassionate Care Act, the bill seeks to provide relief for thousands of New York patients suffering from serious and debilitating conditions, including cancer, multiple sclerosis and epilepsy. The bill stipulates the use of medical marijuana will be under strict supervision of healthcare providers.
Seriously ill patients who have been first certified by their healthcare providers will be allowed and given up to two and a half ounces of marijuana. Organisations will be allowed to create dispensaries to deliver the drug to registered users and their caregivers.
"There are tens of thousands of New Yorkers with serious, debilitating, life-threatening conditions whose lives could be made more tolerable and longer by enacting this legislation," Assemblyman Richard N. Gottfried, who heads the Health Committee and sponsored the bill, said, as quoted by NYTimes.
But before the bill flies off the table, it needs to be passed by the Senate moving on to Gov. Andrew Cuomo for his signature and seal.
On Friday, a new poll released by Quinnipiac University showed 83 per cent of NY voters support legalising medical marijuana.
"Medical marijuana in New York, and in every other state surveyed by Quinnipiac, is a no-brainer," Maurice Carroll, assistant director of the Quinnipiac poll, said in a statement quoted by auburnpub.com.
The bill now awaits a vote in the Senate Finance Committee.
Lawmakers have less than 4 weeks left in the legislative session to pass with finality the Compassionate Care Act.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine