Selena Gomez's Grandfather Confirms Lupus of Singer Actress, Thinks She Was Not Prepared for Hollywood
By Annie Dee | May 29, 2014 3:07 PM EST
With all the focus and attention poured on Selena and Justin's breakup and drama, people are forgetting that the singer actress is reportedly battling with lupus. Her grandfather now confirmed to RadarOnline that Selena is indeed suffering from the autoimmune disorder and yet strongly handling it. However, he is still worried that Selena is working too much.
Actress Selena Gomez arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
News about Selena Gomez's lupus surfaced as early as 2013, when she cancelled the Asian and Australian leg of her tour. A source told Popdust that, "Selena has been going full throttle the past few years and her Lupus is really catching up with her right now," a source told the website.
"She knows that she needs to take some time to address the disease and look after herself better if she wants to live a full and healthy life," the source added.
The grandfather remains anxious that Selena's hardworking ways and all the Justin Bieber drama can affect how she manages her condition and stay healthy. Speaking with Radar Online, Ricardo claimed Selena was diagnosed with Lupus a couple of years ago, and that "she's in treatment. She's getting along pretty good. What worries [us] more is that she doesn't know how to say no. She won't take time for herself to relax, to eat well."
The "Come and Get It"singer's grandfather also shared that he's missing her badly, Hollywood Life reports. They have not seen each other for a while and their only communication is through the telephone. Again, Hollywood Life shares that the worried grandfather attributed this to Selena's determination to work hard and inability to say no to more work.
Ricardo shared, "The sad part is we hardly see her nowadays, just by phone ...When we talk on the phone we say, 'We don't see you in person but we see you in the news, in the newspaper, the TV... Are you ok?' She says, 'Yeah.'"
Asked what he thinks of Justin Bieber, the worried grandfather expressed his disappointment. "He was just a nice little fella," Ricardo says. "Totally different from what he is right now. ... It just makes me feel upset because he used to be a real nice boy."
According to Celebrity Dirty Laundry, Ricardo claimed he envisioned something like this will happen as early as when Selena was just 13 and was offered the main role on Wizards of Waverly Place. He shared that Selena Gomez was not entirely prepared to enter the world of celebrities. Her own grandfather shared how Selena Gomez cried when she was offered the role of Alex in Wizards of Waverly Place because she does not want to go to L.A.
"She cried so much all that night because she didn't want to go [to L.A.]. I said, 'Ok, it's up to you'," Ricardo recalls and Celebrity Dirty Laundry reports. The gossip site also implied that at the age of 15, she had no choice but to do what her mother and manager say. Selena has been entering modeling competitions as early as the age of three, under her mother's bidding.
Selena has recently been in Nepal for her work with UNICEF and for her to attain mental peace. This is good news for her health.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best