Selena Gomez's Grandfather Confirms Lupus of Singer Actress, Thinks She Was Not Prepared for Hollywood
By Annie Dee | May 29, 2014 3:07 PM EST
With all the focus and attention poured on Selena and Justin's breakup and drama, people are forgetting that the singer actress is reportedly battling with lupus. Her grandfather now confirmed to RadarOnline that Selena is indeed suffering from the autoimmune disorder and yet strongly handling it. However, he is still worried that Selena is working too much.
Actress Selena Gomez arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
News about Selena Gomez's lupus surfaced as early as 2013, when she cancelled the Asian and Australian leg of her tour. A source told Popdust that, "Selena has been going full throttle the past few years and her Lupus is really catching up with her right now," a source told the website.
"She knows that she needs to take some time to address the disease and look after herself better if she wants to live a full and healthy life," the source added.
The grandfather remains anxious that Selena's hardworking ways and all the Justin Bieber drama can affect how she manages her condition and stay healthy. Speaking with Radar Online, Ricardo claimed Selena was diagnosed with Lupus a couple of years ago, and that "she's in treatment. She's getting along pretty good. What worries [us] more is that she doesn't know how to say no. She won't take time for herself to relax, to eat well."
The "Come and Get It"singer's grandfather also shared that he's missing her badly, Hollywood Life reports. They have not seen each other for a while and their only communication is through the telephone. Again, Hollywood Life shares that the worried grandfather attributed this to Selena's determination to work hard and inability to say no to more work.
Ricardo shared, "The sad part is we hardly see her nowadays, just by phone ...When we talk on the phone we say, 'We don't see you in person but we see you in the news, in the newspaper, the TV... Are you ok?' She says, 'Yeah.'"
Asked what he thinks of Justin Bieber, the worried grandfather expressed his disappointment. "He was just a nice little fella," Ricardo says. "Totally different from what he is right now. ... It just makes me feel upset because he used to be a real nice boy."
According to Celebrity Dirty Laundry, Ricardo claimed he envisioned something like this will happen as early as when Selena was just 13 and was offered the main role on Wizards of Waverly Place. He shared that Selena Gomez was not entirely prepared to enter the world of celebrities. Her own grandfather shared how Selena Gomez cried when she was offered the role of Alex in Wizards of Waverly Place because she does not want to go to L.A.
"She cried so much all that night because she didn't want to go [to L.A.]. I said, 'Ok, it's up to you'," Ricardo recalls and Celebrity Dirty Laundry reports. The gossip site also implied that at the age of 15, she had no choice but to do what her mother and manager say. Selena has been entering modeling competitions as early as the age of three, under her mother's bidding.
Selena has recently been in Nepal for her work with UNICEF and for her to attain mental peace. This is good news for her health.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change