'Maleficent' Diaval Sam Riley On Angelina Jolie and Filming The Disney Blockbuster (Video)
By Tanya Diente | May 29, 2014 2:12 PM EST
"Maleficent" is a re-telling of the classic Disney fairy tale "Sleeping Beauty." Although this time the story revolves around the wicked witch who placed a curse on the infant princess.
Actress Angelina Jolie displays her tattoo as she arrives for a special Maleficent Costume Display at Kensington Palace in London May 8, 2014. "Maleficent" is the upcoming Disney film starring Jolie and Kensington Palace is the official residence of Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.
In "Maleficent" Sam Riley plays Diaval, the loyal servant to the wicked witch (Angelina Jolie). He could have easily passed for the Prince Charming role with his Burberry-contracted boyish looks, according to Gulfnews. However, Riley opted to be the henchman or the "gobshite,"as he calls it, to the evil witch. The 34-year old British actor who played a vampire in "Byzantium," said he took the role because it was a new ground for him. In "Maleficent" he doesn't do drugs, die or have sex with anyone, as opposed to his character in the indie film "On the Road," where he stars alongside Kristen Stewart (Twilight). Riley also took the role to remind people that he still exists otherwise the casting directors will forget who he is, reports Gulfnews.
Sam Riley's role as Diaval is a vital presence in "Maleficent." According to Geektyrant, he delivers most of the expository dialogue to keep audiences well-informed of the goings-on in the film. Riley admitted that it was a challenge especially with the complicated sentences.
"I think I have my tongue in my cheek a little bit while doing some of them, particularly the complicated sentences," he said.
However, Riley didn't mind the challenge since he was working with Angelina Jolie. He thought working with her was an "attractive proposition." Riley said all of his scenes as Diaval were mostly with Jolie since he is after all the loyal servant to her character as Maleficent. In the movie, they mostly fight and bicker at each other like an old married couple. This came naturally to the both of them which he thought made his role bearable.
Sam Riley has nothing but praise for his "Maleficent" co-star Angelina Jolie, according to Geektyrant. He recalled that he was nervous at the start to be working with a famous actress such as Jolie. However everyone, even the crew, loves her on the set because she was very charming. So she made working easy especially since she didn't make anyone feel small with her presence.
Riley said shooting his role as Diaval in "Maleficent" took over seven or eight studios at Pinewood, that they had to use golf carts to move from one set to the next. He also recalled using a net over his head for secrecy in case anyone was watching. "I looked like Michael Jackson going shopping," he told Gulfnews.
Riley shot his Diaval role in "Maleficent" two years ago according to Geektyrant. So he hasn't actually seen the movie yet to discuss further details. Although he recalled his favourite thing in the movie was the horse. He said the crew used a real horse and it was beautiful especially with its mask on.
Disney's blockbuster "Maleficent" opens in US theatres on May 30.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch