'Maleficent' Diaval Sam Riley On Angelina Jolie and Filming The Disney Blockbuster (Video)
By Tanya Diente | May 29, 2014 2:12 PM EST
"Maleficent" is a re-telling of the classic Disney fairy tale "Sleeping Beauty." Although this time the story revolves around the wicked witch who placed a curse on the infant princess.
Actress Angelina Jolie displays her tattoo as she arrives for a special Maleficent Costume Display at Kensington Palace in London May 8, 2014. "Maleficent" is the upcoming Disney film starring Jolie and Kensington Palace is the official residence of Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.
In "Maleficent" Sam Riley plays Diaval, the loyal servant to the wicked witch (Angelina Jolie). He could have easily passed for the Prince Charming role with his Burberry-contracted boyish looks, according to Gulfnews. However, Riley opted to be the henchman or the "gobshite,"as he calls it, to the evil witch. The 34-year old British actor who played a vampire in "Byzantium," said he took the role because it was a new ground for him. In "Maleficent" he doesn't do drugs, die or have sex with anyone, as opposed to his character in the indie film "On the Road," where he stars alongside Kristen Stewart (Twilight). Riley also took the role to remind people that he still exists otherwise the casting directors will forget who he is, reports Gulfnews.
Sam Riley's role as Diaval is a vital presence in "Maleficent." According to Geektyrant, he delivers most of the expository dialogue to keep audiences well-informed of the goings-on in the film. Riley admitted that it was a challenge especially with the complicated sentences.
"I think I have my tongue in my cheek a little bit while doing some of them, particularly the complicated sentences," he said.
However, Riley didn't mind the challenge since he was working with Angelina Jolie. He thought working with her was an "attractive proposition." Riley said all of his scenes as Diaval were mostly with Jolie since he is after all the loyal servant to her character as Maleficent. In the movie, they mostly fight and bicker at each other like an old married couple. This came naturally to the both of them which he thought made his role bearable.
Sam Riley has nothing but praise for his "Maleficent" co-star Angelina Jolie, according to Geektyrant. He recalled that he was nervous at the start to be working with a famous actress such as Jolie. However everyone, even the crew, loves her on the set because she was very charming. So she made working easy especially since she didn't make anyone feel small with her presence.
Riley said shooting his role as Diaval in "Maleficent" took over seven or eight studios at Pinewood, that they had to use golf carts to move from one set to the next. He also recalled using a net over his head for secrecy in case anyone was watching. "I looked like Michael Jackson going shopping," he told Gulfnews.
Riley shot his Diaval role in "Maleficent" two years ago according to Geektyrant. So he hasn't actually seen the movie yet to discuss further details. Although he recalled his favourite thing in the movie was the horse. He said the crew used a real horse and it was beautiful especially with its mask on.
Disney's blockbuster "Maleficent" opens in US theatres on May 30.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5: Human Flesh Burgers Unveiled To Celebrate TWD’s New Season
- George Clooney Divorced Talia Balsam Years Before Getting Married to Amal Alamuddin: Know About Clooney's Ex Wife
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money