French Open Men's Singles: Day 4 Results
May 29, 2014 2:06 PM EST
French Open Men's Singles: Day 4 Results
Day 4 and the second round of the French Open 2014 has been concluded in Roland Garros. The Women's side has seen the top seeds come crashing down as well as many hometown hopes. The men's singles division tells a different story. In a French double feature on the main courts, home fans had plenty to cheer about. Frenchman Jo Wilfred Tsonga was on Philippe Chatrier and advanced comfortably over 2010 semi-finalist Jurgen Melzer to book his place in the third round.
Jo Wilfred Tsonga (13) def. Jurgen Melzer 6-2, 6-3, 6-4
Tsonga reached the semi-finals last year and is hoping to wow French fans this year by doing better. His next opponent will be 22nd seed Jerzy Janowicz of Poland who breezed through his match with veteran Jarkko Nieminen of Finland.
Jerzy Janowicz (22) def Jarkko Nieminen 7-6(4), 7-6(4), 6-4.
"Jerzy is a difficult player. You never know exactly what to expect on court. I'm not really talking about his behavior but rather his game. He's rather unpredictable. He's very tall, he strikes hard. He can have a very high first ball, first-serve percentage, striking really hard, so you have to find a way to neutralise him, and it's not always that easy." Tsonga said after advancing.
Another Frenchman, Gilles Simon booked his spot convincingly over Alejandro Gonzalez on Court Suzanne Lenglen. He will be facing Milos Raonic in the third round.
Gilles Simon (29) def. Alejandro Gonzalez 6-4, 6-0, 6-2
It can't all be good news though as unseeded Frenchmen also failed to make their mark and advance:
Steve Johnson def. Laurent Lokoli 4-6, 6-7(7), 7-6(3), 6-3, 6-3
Roberto Bautista Agut (27) def. Benoit Paire 6-4, 7-6(4), 6-2
The top seeded players that are still in contention breezed through the second round. New father of a second set of twins Roger Federer took out his opponent, Argentinian qualifier Diego Sebastian Schwartzmann in straight sets. Federer's match ended quicly and the Former World Number 1 stayed on the court after the match to grant interviews, take pictures and sign autographs to the delight of the fans.
Roger Federer (4) def. Diego Sebastian Schwartzmann 6-3, 6-4, 6-4
Defending Champion Rafael Nadal will be facing rising star Dominic Thiem of Austria. The 20 year old Austrian has gained fame of late due to news of his unorthodox training methods in the hands of eccentric coach Sepp Resnik. He is said to be making the player do hill sprints with three foot logs on his shoulders. Nadal's coach, his Uncle Tony has also been a solid fixture in the courts over the years and this battle will be a test of skills for all four men both those on and off the court
Meanwhile, world number 2, Novak Djokovic despite charming the crowd in Roland Garros in his first round appearance was persona non-grata on the fourth day as he took out Frenchman Jeremy Chardy. Novak plowed through and silenced the home town crowd by walking all over his opponent in straight sets. He will be facing Marin Cilic in the third round.
Novak Djokovic (2) def. Jeremy Chardy 6-1, 6-4, 6-2
Tommy Robredo (17) def. Kenny De Schepper 6-2, 6-3,6-3
Tomas Berdych (6) def. Aleksandr Nedovyesov 6-7(4), 6-4, 7-5, 6-3
Radek Stepanek def. Mikhail Youzhny (15), 6-0, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.
Ernests Gulbis def. Facundo Bagnis 6-2, 7-5, 6-0.
Marcel Granollers def. Alexandr Dolgopolov 1-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-0, 6-2
See the other results and brackets at the Official French Open Web site.
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal