French Open Men's Singles: Day 4 Results
May 29, 2014 2:06 PM EST
French Open Men's Singles: Day 4 Results
Day 4 and the second round of the French Open 2014 has been concluded in Roland Garros. The Women's side has seen the top seeds come crashing down as well as many hometown hopes. The men's singles division tells a different story. In a French double feature on the main courts, home fans had plenty to cheer about. Frenchman Jo Wilfred Tsonga was on Philippe Chatrier and advanced comfortably over 2010 semi-finalist Jurgen Melzer to book his place in the third round.
Jo Wilfred Tsonga (13) def. Jurgen Melzer 6-2, 6-3, 6-4
Tsonga reached the semi-finals last year and is hoping to wow French fans this year by doing better. His next opponent will be 22nd seed Jerzy Janowicz of Poland who breezed through his match with veteran Jarkko Nieminen of Finland.
Jerzy Janowicz (22) def Jarkko Nieminen 7-6(4), 7-6(4), 6-4.
"Jerzy is a difficult player. You never know exactly what to expect on court. I'm not really talking about his behavior but rather his game. He's rather unpredictable. He's very tall, he strikes hard. He can have a very high first ball, first-serve percentage, striking really hard, so you have to find a way to neutralise him, and it's not always that easy." Tsonga said after advancing.
Another Frenchman, Gilles Simon booked his spot convincingly over Alejandro Gonzalez on Court Suzanne Lenglen. He will be facing Milos Raonic in the third round.
Gilles Simon (29) def. Alejandro Gonzalez 6-4, 6-0, 6-2
It can't all be good news though as unseeded Frenchmen also failed to make their mark and advance:
Steve Johnson def. Laurent Lokoli 4-6, 6-7(7), 7-6(3), 6-3, 6-3
Roberto Bautista Agut (27) def. Benoit Paire 6-4, 7-6(4), 6-2
The top seeded players that are still in contention breezed through the second round. New father of a second set of twins Roger Federer took out his opponent, Argentinian qualifier Diego Sebastian Schwartzmann in straight sets. Federer's match ended quicly and the Former World Number 1 stayed on the court after the match to grant interviews, take pictures and sign autographs to the delight of the fans.
Roger Federer (4) def. Diego Sebastian Schwartzmann 6-3, 6-4, 6-4
Defending Champion Rafael Nadal will be facing rising star Dominic Thiem of Austria. The 20 year old Austrian has gained fame of late due to news of his unorthodox training methods in the hands of eccentric coach Sepp Resnik. He is said to be making the player do hill sprints with three foot logs on his shoulders. Nadal's coach, his Uncle Tony has also been a solid fixture in the courts over the years and this battle will be a test of skills for all four men both those on and off the court
Meanwhile, world number 2, Novak Djokovic despite charming the crowd in Roland Garros in his first round appearance was persona non-grata on the fourth day as he took out Frenchman Jeremy Chardy. Novak plowed through and silenced the home town crowd by walking all over his opponent in straight sets. He will be facing Marin Cilic in the third round.
Novak Djokovic (2) def. Jeremy Chardy 6-1, 6-4, 6-2
Tommy Robredo (17) def. Kenny De Schepper 6-2, 6-3,6-3
Tomas Berdych (6) def. Aleksandr Nedovyesov 6-7(4), 6-4, 7-5, 6-3
Radek Stepanek def. Mikhail Youzhny (15), 6-0, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.
Ernests Gulbis def. Facundo Bagnis 6-2, 7-5, 6-0.
Marcel Granollers def. Alexandr Dolgopolov 1-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-0, 6-2
See the other results and brackets at the Official French Open Web site.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015