Latest Samsung Curved TV Review: On and Off-Angle Differences, and Added Immersion
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 29, 2014 1:24 PM EST
The new Samsung curved TV features an uncommon curve that promises to change people's television watching experience. The new Samsung curved TV is designed with a slight curve LED LCD, defying the conventional flat TV screens.
President of Samsung UK and Ireland Andy Griffiths said, "Curved makes even more sense because with that high-resolution image then whether it's sport or film these TVs really will be the way to get the best out of that fantastic content," in a report from The Independent.
According to CNET, who conducted a 14-day experiment with Samsung's new curved TV, the experience of watching on a curved TV felt the same as watching on a flat one.
Other users of the curved TV say they didn't notice the difference of the curve while watching or playing video games.
Other experiments say that the curve is barely noticeable from an on-angle spot. The camera panning, zoom-in and zoom-out, and tilts on different scenes in TV shows do little on adding immersion to the TV watching experience.
According to sources, visual distortions vary depending on the distance where the user is. There are noticeable lines that accentuate the distortions when a user changes seating positions while watching. The distortions grow heavier when a user moves to an off-angle of the curved TV. One of the improvements the curved TV brings to its user experience is its ability to reduce reflections compared to the conventional flat TV screens. The curved TV does not reflect the light directed on the screens. For the few reflections the curved TV gives away, it appears to be dimmer and almost unnoticeable.
More critics and studies reveal that the immersion in watching from the curved TV increases by 4 percent, depending on the distance.
Samsung's 65-inched curved TV HU9000 model costs $4,300, while the flat HU8550 sells for $3,500.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related