French Open Women's Singles: Day 4 Results
May 29, 2014 12:53 PM EST
French Open Women's Singles: Day 4 Results
Day 4 marks the beginning of Round 2 matches on the clay courts of Roland Garros for the 2014 French Open Tennis. The women took to the courts today missing several seeds such as former French Open Champion Li Na and Former World number 1, Caroline Wozniacki. Round 2 did not prove to be better for the top seeds as the Williams sisters were also taken out. Defending champion and top seed was crushed in straight sets very convincingly by 20 year old Spaniard Garbine Muguruza.
There would have been a potential third round clash between the sisters and based on their track record, the third round is too early for them to meet. Unfortunately, a double whammy in the second round saw both Williams girls out unexpectedly so early in the competition.
Anna Schmiedlova def. Venus Williams (29), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
Garbine Muguruza def Serena Williams (1), 6-2, 6-2
The Williams sisters met on Philippe Chatrier for the final match 12 years ago with Serena coming up on top. This would have been the only round that the sisters would like to meet. However, Venus has not had much success in Roland Garros, failing to make the second week since 2010. 19 year old Schmiedlova has shown great potential to rise in rankings while the 34 year old Williams is clearly well past the peak of her career.
Home hero heartbreak.
Taylor Townsend def. Alize Comet (20), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
Top French player and 20th seed Alize Comet was also taken down by a young gun in the form of American Taylor Townsend. The American is ranked 205 in the world and with the home crowd cheering for her, Comet looked to be the favourite to win this match. However, the first set was taken easily by the youngster. Comet fought back in the second set and fought hard for every point. The decider saw her lose steam and was broken immediately by the American and was left trailing 5-1. It took her two match point to get over the hill but eventually sealed the fate of the top Frenchwoman.
Other top seeded players who also fell out of contention:
Johanna Larsson def Flavia Pennetta (12),5-7, 6-4, 6-2.
Mona Barthel def. Sabine Lisicki (16), (ret.), 1-6, 0-3.
Not all seeded players suffered the same fate as others were able to book their spots into the third round:
Maria Sharapova (7) def. Tsvetana Pironkova 7-5, 6-2
Angelique Kerber (8) def. Varvara Lepchenko 6-2, 7-5.
Carla Suarrez Navarro (14) def. Timea Bacsinszky, 7-5, 1-6, 6-4
Agnieszka Radwanksa (3) def. Karoline Pliskova 6-3, 6-4
Sam Stosur (19) def. Yvonne Meusburger 6-1, 6-3
Dominika Cibulkova (9) def. Tamira Paszek 6-3, 6-4
Daniela Hantuchova (31) def. Claire Feuerstein 6-1, 6-1
See the full match results and brackets at the Official French Open Web site.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop