Maya Angelou Death: 18 Quotes About Success, Music, Love Plus More
By Tarun Mazumdar | May 29, 2014 12:44 PM EST
Civil rights activist, poet and author Maya Angelou died at 86 in Winston-Salem, N.C. Her words inspired and touched many. As the world mourns her passing, Maya continues to live in the hearts of people through her motivational quotes.
18 Maya Angelou Quotes About Success, Love, Music, Compassion and More
3. "Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness." - Via Brainy Quote.
4. "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." - Maya Angelou's Facebook page.
5. "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them." - New York Women in Communications.
6. "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humour, and some style." Via E! Online.
7. "Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud." - Oprah (excerpts from the book "Letter to my Daughter")
8. "We can learn to see each other and see ourselves in each other and recognize that human beings are more alike than we are unalike." - Feminist.com.
9. "If you have only one smile in you give it to the people you love." - Oprah.
10. "Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it." - Via News.com.au.
11. "Love recognises no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope." - Maya Angelou's Facebook page.
12. "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." - Via News.com.au
13. "No sun outlasts its sunset, but will rise again and bring the dawn." - The Guardian.
14. "History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." - Howard.edu.
15. "Nothing will work unless you do." - A Conversation with Dr. Maya Angelou - July issue of "Beautifully Said" magazine.
16. "We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated." - Psychology Today.
17. "Life loves the liver of it." - Oprah (excerpts from the book "Letter to my Daughter").
18. "If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be." - Maya Angelou's Facebook page.
To contact the editor, e-mail: