Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: U.S. Navy Acknowledges Pings Are Not from Missing Plane
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 29, 2014 12:16 PM EST
The U.S. Navy acknowledged on Wednesday that the pings they got in the past seven weeks are not from the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370's black box.
The Singaporean submarine support and rescue vessel, MV Swift Rescue, is prepared before it departs to assist in the search for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 in Singapore, in this 9 March, 2014 handout picture.
Michael Dean, deputy director of ocean engineering of the Navy, said the pings came from other man-made sources not related to the jet that mysteriously disappeared on March 8 and until now remains without a trace.
If indeed the pings are from the black box, the searchers would by now have found the source after scanning 329 square miles of the southern Indian Ocean floor. He said other countries share the same conclusions about the source of the pings.
"Our best theory at this point is that (the pings were) likely some sound produced by the ship ... or within the electronics of the Yowed Pinger Locator," Dean told CNN.
He said that when water seeps into electronic equipment and grounds or shorts something within, the device starts producing sound.
However, U.S. Navy spokesman Chris Johnson belied Dean's statement and called them speculative and premature, reported The Telegraph. Johnson said, "We continue to work with our partners to more thoroughly understand the data acquired by the Towed Pinger Locator."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points