Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: U.S. Navy Acknowledges Pings Are Not from Missing Plane
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 29, 2014 12:16 PM EST
The U.S. Navy acknowledged on Wednesday that the pings they got in the past seven weeks are not from the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370's black box.
The Singaporean submarine support and rescue vessel, MV Swift Rescue, is prepared before it departs to assist in the search for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 in Singapore, in this 9 March, 2014 handout picture.
Michael Dean, deputy director of ocean engineering of the Navy, said the pings came from other man-made sources not related to the jet that mysteriously disappeared on March 8 and until now remains without a trace.
If indeed the pings are from the black box, the searchers would by now have found the source after scanning 329 square miles of the southern Indian Ocean floor. He said other countries share the same conclusions about the source of the pings.
"Our best theory at this point is that (the pings were) likely some sound produced by the ship ... or within the electronics of the Yowed Pinger Locator," Dean told CNN.
He said that when water seeps into electronic equipment and grounds or shorts something within, the device starts producing sound.
However, U.S. Navy spokesman Chris Johnson belied Dean's statement and called them speculative and premature, reported The Telegraph. Johnson said, "We continue to work with our partners to more thoroughly understand the data acquired by the Towed Pinger Locator."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage