Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: U.S. Navy Acknowledges Pings Are Not from Missing Plane
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 29, 2014 12:16 PM EST
The U.S. Navy acknowledged on Wednesday that the pings they got in the past seven weeks are not from the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370's black box.
The Singaporean submarine support and rescue vessel, MV Swift Rescue, is prepared before it departs to assist in the search for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 in Singapore, in this 9 March, 2014 handout picture.
Michael Dean, deputy director of ocean engineering of the Navy, said the pings came from other man-made sources not related to the jet that mysteriously disappeared on March 8 and until now remains without a trace.
If indeed the pings are from the black box, the searchers would by now have found the source after scanning 329 square miles of the southern Indian Ocean floor. He said other countries share the same conclusions about the source of the pings.
"Our best theory at this point is that (the pings were) likely some sound produced by the ship ... or within the electronics of the Yowed Pinger Locator," Dean told CNN.
He said that when water seeps into electronic equipment and grounds or shorts something within, the device starts producing sound.
However, U.S. Navy spokesman Chris Johnson belied Dean's statement and called them speculative and premature, reported The Telegraph. Johnson said, "We continue to work with our partners to more thoroughly understand the data acquired by the Towed Pinger Locator."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter