Junal Barboza: Kate Middleton Hoax Victim Jacintha Saldanha's Teenage Son Receives 'Student of the Year' Award
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 29, 2014 12:02 PM EST
Jacintha Saldanha, a nurse of King Edward VII Hospital in London, left behind a teenage son and daughter when she committed suicide after becoming the victim to the Kate Middleton phone call hoax. Two years after the tragic death, Jacintha's teenage son Junal Barboza recently received the "Student of the Year" award at St Brendan's Sixth Form College in Bristol.
The Mail Online report revealed that Junal Barboza, who uses his father's surname, focused on his studies to deal with his mother's death. The 17-year-old student shared that he was shocked and honoured for the award he received.
"I wouldn't say I was a model student. I just get on with things on a daily basis and don't do anything too outrageous," Barboza stated. The student further shared that everyone showed support and he had people to communicate with while taking up A-levels in design, technology and business as well as AS-levels in physics and math.
Now, Junal Barboza hopes to go to Russell Group University and study engineering because it is the career that he wanted ever since he was a little kid. Despite the tragic death of his mother, Junal Barboza decided to study hard and the college teachers praised the teenage boy for his dedication and strength.
In the Bristol Post report, the college's assistant head Ruth Pickersgill stated that Junal Barboza maintained dignity and integrity even though he had to deal with his mother's death under the eyes of the media. Pickersgill added that the community of St Brendan was privileged to have the popular and hardworking teenage student.
"Junal joined us two years ago and in his time here he has had to go through more adversity than most of us can possible imagine. We have nominated him for this award as despite the barriers he has had to overcome, he has managed to maintain an attendance of 97 per cent this year and has continued studying hard and apply himself to his studies," Pickersgill's citation on Junal Barboza reads.
Junal Barboza revealed that college work helped him deal with the death of his mother, Jacintha Saldanha. The hospital nurse was working on the switchboard in December 2012 when the Australian radio DJs Michael Christian and Mel Greig called and impersonated Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles.
The radio DJ's asked the nurse to put their call through the ward where the Duchess of Cambridge was being treated for the acute morning sickness of her pregnancy. The station broadcasted the prank call that created headlines worldwide and the nurse involved was found dead in the nurses' headquarters three days later.
More Articles to Read:
Viral Video Michael Jackson Dance: High School Student Performs 'Billie Jean' at Pitman High School Talent Rally [WATCH] - [READ]
UFO Sightings: 'Ghostbusters' Actor Dan Aykroyd Recounts Personal UFO Sighting, Recommends MUFON at Crystal Head Vodka Signing [WATCH VIDEOS] - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- 'Boob Aid': Japanese Porn Stars 'Excited' For 24HR Breasts Squeezing Charity
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0