FIFA World Cup 2014 Analysis & Predictions: Group B – Spain, Netherlands, Chile & Australia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 29, 2014 10:56 AM EST
Teams Qualified: Netherlands (1) & Chile (2)
Here is the second installment of the "Analysis & Predictions" series of the FIFA World Cup 2014. While we are one more day closer to the gala event, today we are going to analyse Group B and showcase our predictions for the group. Let's look at the possibilities of Group B.
Spain's national soccer team head coach Vicente del Bosque (2nd L) smiles next to players Xavi (L), Andres Iniesta (R) and Juan Mata during a training session in preparation for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, at Soccer City sports camp in Las Rozas, near Madrid, May 26, 2014.
Teams in the group
Spain, Netherlands, Chile & Australia are in Group B. This group promises to be one of the most competitive ones. With two big teams from Europe clashing with each other in the group, there is one from South America and the Australian continent each. This is the first time in the history of FIFA World Cups that Australia will face Spain. The same goes for the Netherlands and Chile which have never faced each other before in a world cup.
Morale of the teams
The most competitive aspect of the group is that the top two teams of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa are featuring in it. Spain clearly looks the strongest of them all with several iconic players who have contributed to the success of the defending world champion. Spain should be beaming with confidence whereas the Netherlands' road to the World Cup was an emphatic one. After leading striker Robin Van Persie had scored 11 goals in the qualifying rounds, the Dutch are also high in morale. Chile finished third from the South American Zone and has promising players who can take it forward. This is the third consecutive time Australia is a part of the World Cup. The journey this time had its ups and down. With a new coach on-board, the team is going through a transition phase.
Players on the spotlight
Spain: Xavi, Xabi Alonso & Andres Iniesta
Netherlands: Arjen Robben, Rafael Van Der Vaart & Robin Van Persie
Chile: Arturo Vidal, Claudio Bravo & Alexis Sanchez
Australia: Tim Cahill
The match between Spain and the Netherlands will be a turning point as it will decide the top team of the group. While there is hardly anything that can separate the two, the Dutch will certainly go for retaliation to compensate their World Cup loss in 2010. Whoever wins this match is going to finish on top. The urge for finishing on top will be high in this group as the second team in the group is likely to face Brazil in the next round, which is expected to finish first in Group A. Neither of the two may prefer facing Brazil so early in the tournament.
The Spain-Netherlands match will end up in a draw. Therefore, both teams will have 2 wins against the other two teams and 1 tie. Spain will score more goals than the Dutch so it will finish first in the group. The Australia-Chile match may give a surprise result. I'll put my money on the Aussies.
What's your prediction? Use the comment section to tell us about it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3