MH370 Underwater Search Suspended for 2 Months, People Feel 'Sad' and 'Angry'
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 29, 2014 10:09 AM EST
The underwater search for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 is suspended for two months. The friends and the relatives of the passenger who were on-board may find it disappointing. The search continued for more than two months since the plane mysteriously disappeared on March 8, 2014. However, there was nothing found to confirm what exactly happened to the missing plane. The Bluefin-21 drone is on its way to complete its final mission of the underwater search in the Indian Ocean on Wednesday, May 28.
A family member cries as she and other relatives pray during a candlelight vigil for passengers onboard the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 in the early morning, at Lido Hotel, in Beijing April 8, 2014, after a month of searching for the missing aircraft.
The search operation has cost $40,000 every day with no result whatsoever. Search officials, on the other hand, are reported to be preparing and regrouping for operations with more advanced equipment. CNN reported that not many companies have such high-tech devices such as towed sonar which is an autonomous underwater vehicle with optical imaging equipment and mounted sonar. According to officials, negotiating and soliciting the companies which have such devices are going to take time. Officials said that they would prefer a single private contractor for leading the next phase of the underwater hunt. The next stage of the search is expected to cover 60,000 sq km, and it will cost around $60 million.
Meanwhile, China has started using a uniquely designed ship for mapping the remote floor of the Indian Ocean. Such an operation has apparently not done before. The Bluefin-21 is capable of providing superior resolution to such towed sonar devices but it can only go around 4.5 km deep at its best. Australian Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss said earlier in May that the expanded search area had never been mapped. That is why it is uncertain how much deep the area of water is.
After the news of suspending the search appeared on The Rakyat Post, readers were asked how they felt about the update. The 8 per cent of people felt "Happy" about the news while 48 per cent felt "Sad" and 36 per cent "Angry." There were 4 per cent each for those who felt "Shocked" and "Nothing."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles