Nokia Lumia 2520 Tablet vs. Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Tablet : Price and Specs Comparison in Australia
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 28, 2014 5:25 PM EST
With the completion of Microsoft's takeover on the legendary Finnish mobile phone company Nokia, the computer software company, recently unveiled the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet. The company boosted that this smart gadget takes away the conflict between laptop and tablet for it can function as both. So how does Microsoft's third generation of tablet fares with Nokia Lumia 2520?
At the very first glance both Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet and Nokia Lumia 2520 look like a laptop with the attached keyboard and adjustable kickstand but the two tablets differ in sizes and thickness. According to The Verge, the tablet weighs 1.99 pounds and measures 10.81 inches in height, 6.81 inches in width, and 0.53 inches in thickness. Meanwhile, Phone Arena mentioned that Nokia Lumia 2520 weighs a little lighter at 615 grams (1.36 pounds). It is also a bit smaller and thinner with its measurement of 10.5 inches in height, 6.61 inches in width, and 0.35 inches in depth.
Surface Pro 3 has 10.6-inch diagonal multi-touch LCD screen. Its image density is at 207.82 pixels per inches (ppi) with 1920 x 1080 display. Since Nokia Lumia 2520 is a bit smaller in overall, its screen size is also a a few notches smaller at 10.1-inch diagonal LED-backlit multi-touch display with IPS technology. It has 218 ppi image density although the screen resolution is just the same with Surface Pro 3.
The two tablets are powered by totally different processors. Surface Pro 3 is made with Intel Core i5-3317U processor clocked at 1.7 GHz. It has 4 GB RAM, 64 GB internal size, and microSD support. On the other hand, Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet has far less power with the quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 clocked at 2.2GHz, 2 GB RAM and 32 GB internal memory expandable up to 64GB via MicroSD.
Both Surface Pro 3 and Nokia Lumia 2520 tablets run on Windows 8 operating system complete with Microsoft essential like Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
Surface Pro 3 has 5 megapixels for each of the front facing and rear facing cameras with 720p video resolution for the rear facing camera. Meanwhile, Nokia Lumia 2520 has better for back facing camera with 6.7 megapixels but the front end is far lesser with only 2 megapixels. The video calling resolution at the back camera is also a few notches better at 1080p resolution.
Speakers and Connectivity
Both Surface Pro 3 and Nokia Lumia 2520 tablets have stereo speakers that direct sounds towards the user. Both tablets also have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities.
Nokia Lumia 2520 has 8000 mAh which can run only up to 4 hours of usage while the 42 Wh battery in Surface Pro 3 allows users up to nine hours of usage.
Nokia Lumia 2520 already hit the Australian market recently for an exorbitant price of AU$840 through the 24-month Telstra Tablet plan. This amount can be paid on a monthly basis at $60, that is, $35 goes to the data plan and the extra $25 is for the tablet repayment fee. Meanwhile, Microsoft's press release mentioned that the starting price for Surface Pro 3 tablet is at US$799. This ridiculous amount translates to $863 in Australia just for the tablet alone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points