Ian Somerhalder Requested 'Vampire Diaries' Character, Damon Salvatore Killed Off to Leave Show, Avoiding Nina Dobrev
By Annie Dee | May 28, 2014 5:25 PM EST
Ian Somerhalder's character, Damon Salvatore in the "Vampire Diaries" died and was immediately met with backlash. Even though Ian himself took to Twitter to apologize for the turn of the events, Celebrity Dirty Laundry is reporting that it was Ian who requested to leave the show and kill off his character because he cannot stand working with Nina Dobrev.
Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder
According to the gossip site, Ian Somerhalder is already unhappy on the set and requested an early departure from the show. The producers and showrunners agreed to let him go because it is difficult to keep an unhappy actor on set. Even though all principal actors on the show are signed for six seasons, Ian's character died, surprising all the fans of the show and the Damon-Elena pairing.
Many speculated that Ian left because he had to take care of his burgeoning film career, but Celebrity Dirty Laundry is reporting that the residual awkwardness from his unstable relationship with on-screen love interest, Nina Dobrev propelled him to break off from his contract. Up until now, Ian is still unsure of where he stands with Nina. While Ian is very sure he wants Nina Dobrev on his life and wants to marry her, Nina Dobrev feels like she's rushing into things if she settle with Ian.
When Ian Somerhalder requested for his character to be killed off, show producers did not hesistate because they were already witnessing a lot of awkwardness between Ian and Nina ever since their split. Not changing the situation may lead to the jeopardizing of the fandom further.
Fans should not despair though. It has been reported that there is a possibility that Damon, and therefore Ian Somerhalder, will still be showing up in the sixth season of the infamous Vampire show.
"Their fate is a mystery. The best way to sum it up is that all of our characters have had to come to terms with the fact that they are gone and have taken steps to move forward in their lives, for better or for worse, in grief or denial, and the question of when we see them and where are they and what happened is a part of the mystery in Season 6," revealed Executive producer of the show, Julie Pelc, in an interview to TV Guide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People