Ian Somerhalder Requested 'Vampire Diaries' Character, Damon Salvatore Killed Off to Leave Show, Avoiding Nina Dobrev
By Annie Dee | May 28, 2014 5:25 PM EST
Ian Somerhalder's character, Damon Salvatore in the "Vampire Diaries" died and was immediately met with backlash. Even though Ian himself took to Twitter to apologize for the turn of the events, Celebrity Dirty Laundry is reporting that it was Ian who requested to leave the show and kill off his character because he cannot stand working with Nina Dobrev.
Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder
According to the gossip site, Ian Somerhalder is already unhappy on the set and requested an early departure from the show. The producers and showrunners agreed to let him go because it is difficult to keep an unhappy actor on set. Even though all principal actors on the show are signed for six seasons, Ian's character died, surprising all the fans of the show and the Damon-Elena pairing.
Many speculated that Ian left because he had to take care of his burgeoning film career, but Celebrity Dirty Laundry is reporting that the residual awkwardness from his unstable relationship with on-screen love interest, Nina Dobrev propelled him to break off from his contract. Up until now, Ian is still unsure of where he stands with Nina. While Ian is very sure he wants Nina Dobrev on his life and wants to marry her, Nina Dobrev feels like she's rushing into things if she settle with Ian.
When Ian Somerhalder requested for his character to be killed off, show producers did not hesistate because they were already witnessing a lot of awkwardness between Ian and Nina ever since their split. Not changing the situation may lead to the jeopardizing of the fandom further.
Fans should not despair though. It has been reported that there is a possibility that Damon, and therefore Ian Somerhalder, will still be showing up in the sixth season of the infamous Vampire show.
"Their fate is a mystery. The best way to sum it up is that all of our characters have had to come to terms with the fact that they are gone and have taken steps to move forward in their lives, for better or for worse, in grief or denial, and the question of when we see them and where are they and what happened is a part of the mystery in Season 6," revealed Executive producer of the show, Julie Pelc, in an interview to TV Guide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 15-19, 2014: Ava And Morgan Talk About The Baby
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- Paul Walker's Daughter Paid Heart Touching Tribute To Her Father On His Birthday
- Kim Kardashian-West Frantically Tries For Second Baby To Match Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Timeline
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Pope Francis Blasted For Defying Catholic Doctrine, Marries 20 Couples Who Have Cohabited And Had Children In No Else But St Peter's Basilica