‘Door Always Open,’ Celibacy for Priests is a Dogma that Could be Changed – Pope
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 28, 2014 4:14 PM EST
Pope Francis has unwittingly renewed discussions and debate on celibacy among Roman Catholic priests during a talk with reporters aboard his plane on Monday night to return to Rome.
"Celibacy is not a dogma of faith," Pope Francis declared in a session with reporters traveling in his plane from the Holy Land to Rome on Monday night. "It is a rule of life that I appreciate a great deal, and I believe it is a gift for the church. The door is always open."
When translated, it simply means that Roman Catholic clergy members are not required to abstain from sex.
"He wants to move the church as rapidly as possible to reform, but he also does not want to split the church in two," Charles Reid, a canon lawyer and professor at the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis, told North Jersey Media.
A tradition going back around 1,000 years, priests are taught to dedicate himself totally to his vocation. And in order to fulfill the Church's mission, priests should take and consider the latter as their spouse.
Early this year, Pope Francis received a letter from a group of women who said they were in relationships with priests. They pleaded the pope to change the celibacy requirement. "Each of us is in, was or would like to start a relationship with a priest we are in love with," the women wrote.
Reid believed the pope is strongly considering revising the requirement but is nonetheless cautious of shaking the system that has existed for years.
"You need to build that momentum, because you have an awful lot of men who are deeply invested in the status quo," Reid said. "They've lived their whole lives like this."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jonah Hill Solemnises Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo's Wedding Ceremony
- Pope Estimates 1 in 50 Clergy are Paedophiles; AU Doubles the Number
- Pope Francis Vows to ‘Use the Stick Against the Paedophile Priests’
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Sourgraping Brazil Celebrates Defeat of Rival Argentina; ‘They Already Have the Pope, That’s Enough’
- Tweet of Travel to Middle East to Join Jihadists Leads Philippine Police to Capture Australian ISIS Supporter in Cebu
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon