‘Door Always Open,’ Celibacy for Priests is a Dogma that Could be Changed – Pope
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 28, 2014 4:14 PM EST
Pope Francis has unwittingly renewed discussions and debate on celibacy among Roman Catholic priests during a talk with reporters aboard his plane on Monday night to return to Rome.
"Celibacy is not a dogma of faith," Pope Francis declared in a session with reporters traveling in his plane from the Holy Land to Rome on Monday night. "It is a rule of life that I appreciate a great deal, and I believe it is a gift for the church. The door is always open."
When translated, it simply means that Roman Catholic clergy members are not required to abstain from sex.
"He wants to move the church as rapidly as possible to reform, but he also does not want to split the church in two," Charles Reid, a canon lawyer and professor at the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis, told North Jersey Media.
A tradition going back around 1,000 years, priests are taught to dedicate himself totally to his vocation. And in order to fulfill the Church's mission, priests should take and consider the latter as their spouse.
Early this year, Pope Francis received a letter from a group of women who said they were in relationships with priests. They pleaded the pope to change the celibacy requirement. "Each of us is in, was or would like to start a relationship with a priest we are in love with," the women wrote.
Reid believed the pope is strongly considering revising the requirement but is nonetheless cautious of shaking the system that has existed for years.
"You need to build that momentum, because you have an awful lot of men who are deeply invested in the status quo," Reid said. "They've lived their whole lives like this."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS