Scholarship Scandal: Vandals Hit Whitehouse Institute of Design Over Frances Abbott Scholarship, More Protests Underway
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 28, 2014 3:14 PM EST
Despite the silence the past few days over the $60,000 scholarship given by the Whitehouse Institute of Design to Frances Abbott, the scandal is far from over. On Wednesday, Newscom.au reported that the institute was vandalised overnight to protest the apparently political decision of Whitehouse to grant the scholarship to the then Opposition leader's daughter.
Suzanne Plunkett / Reuters
Students descended on London in November for protests in the campaign against university tuition fees and education cuts
The institute's Surry Hills headquarters' front windows were filled with stickers that read: "BULLS**T." However, the stickers (http://instagram.com/p/ohRypOqug4) have already been removed.
The Surry Hills police went to the college on Wednesday morning to probe the vandalism.
Although the stickers are gone, activist groups will make known on Wednesday afternoon their sentiment about the Abbott scholarship with a plan by the Socialist Alternative to hold a protest outside the school's Melbourne campus where Frances works.
Elliott Downes, an 18-year-old protester, said the scholarship grant "represents everything that is wrong with the system where the Prime Minister's daughter went to an elite institution for virtually nothing while working class kids are going to pay through the roof because of her father's actions."
She added, quoted by News.com.au, "Protests like the one today are the only way we have a hope of beating back the Abbott Government's attacks on education, and everything else included in their horror budget."
She stressed that Social Alternative is not behind the Surry Hills vandalism, but what happened reflects the general feeling of outrage among Aussie students over the scholarship grant which many feel was underserved and the Coalition plans to deregulate university fees which would further hike cost of courses.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- It Doesn’t Pay To Be A Whistleblower In Australia, Especially If Subject Of Expose Is PM’s Daughter
- 5 Disney Movies That Are Actually Scary In The Original Books
- 5 Uncanny Sports That Had Actually Been Part Of The Olympics
- 5 Smartphone Apps For The Workaholic
- Ban On 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' Among Kinders For Political Correctness
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS