'Harry Potter' Spinoff 'Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them' Passed Off By Alfonso Cuaron
By Tanya Diente | May 28, 2014 3:10 PM EST
"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," is based on J.K. Rowling's reproduction of a textbook owned by Harry Potter. The film follows the escapades of the book's imaginary character, Newt Scamander, and has been dubbed as a "Harry Potter" spinoff.
Author J.K. Rowling and husband Neil Murray host a special family fundraising evening in aid of her children's charity, Lumos, at the "Warner Bros. Studio - The Making of Harry Potter in Hertfordfshire" in London Nov. 9, 2013.
Alfonso Cuaron was rumoured to direct the "Harry Potter" spinoff last week, according to Geektyrant. Nikki Finke, Editor-in-Chief and Founder of Deadline Hollywood, shared in her twitter account, that Cuaron was in talks to direct the spinoff. According to Finke, Alfonso Cuaron took "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" to a "new gear." She thinks that with him on board to direct "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," the film would surely come out great too. Finke added that if Cuaron takes the gig, it will be the first of a trilogy.
However, shortly after the rumour, news hit that Cuaron was also offered by Warner Bros. to direct "The Overlook Hotel," the prequel for "The Shining" film. Schmoes Know reported, that Cuaron has been "offered the exclusive right to say yes or no." His tone, style and attention to detail would make him a fantastic choice for the prequel. If Cuaron accepts then it would be his first supernatural thriller movie.
With all the directing gigs offered by Warner Bros., Alfonso Cuaron has finally spoken up to silence speculations on his choice of movie to direct. In an interview with Globalpost, the "Gravity" director said he has no new films lined up. Cuaron was quoted as saying that at present he has no plans "of any kind" to make a new movie. Alfonso Cuaron has passed off directing "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them," to concentrate on family life.
"My near-term plans over the coming months are to take my kids to school and plan what I'm going to do this summer with them. Now, I'm once again connecting with life, I have no plans of any kind," Cuaron said.
Cuaron added that he admires J.K. Rowling and has a lot of love for the "Potter" universe. However, movies based on visual projects do not attract him since at present he is "coming out of a five-year process of doing visual effects". As for "Overlook Hotel," Cuaron said he is not even up to date with the news that he has been chosen as director.
"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" is already in pre-production at the Warner Brothers Studio. According to Geektryant, it will be the first in the planned trilogy and is set to be released on Nov. 18, 2016.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- US Cancer Victim Inspires with The Journey After Death
- Game of Thrones Updates: Tyrion Lannister’s End in George R.R. Martin’s Winds of Winter
- Julia Gillard Admits to a Controversial Deed
- Game of Thrones 2014 Comic Con: George R.R. Martin & His Inspiration, GOT Showrunners & The Challenge to Tell the Story on Screen
- Fifty Shades of Grey Jamie Dornan Making Waves in Hollywood, Irish Actor Lands a Role Alongside Bradley Cooper
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install