Paul McCartney Recovers From Mystery Virus, Returns to London
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 28, 2014 3:09 PM EST
Sir Paul McCartney, the legendary Beatle, was earlier hit by a mystery bug in Japan on May 16. It was the day after arriving from a sold-out tour in South America.
Paul McCartney poses at the 2012 MusiCares Person of the Year tribute honoring McCartney in Los Angeles, in this February 10, 2012 file photo. McCartney has cancelled his Japanese "Out There" tour due to a worsening viral infection and requires complete rest, concert organizers said on May 20, 2014. His next show, set for Seoul on May 28, was also cancelled, media reported on May 22.
The performer was hospitalized in Tokyo and forced to cancel several tour dates within the country. Most recent updates said McCartney has recovered and discharged. After news of the cancellations were announced, fears heightened as the singer was reported showing little signs of improvement.
Nearly two weeks later, reports cited the singer has recovered and finally discharged from the hospital. The 71-year-old star has left Japan on a chartered flight heading for London indicating shows set for Korea this week have also been cancelled. His first concert in South Korea was supossedly set on May 28 at the Seoul Stadium.
"Paul McCartney himself hopes to return to Japan for more concerts as soon as possible," the concert organizers said in a statement.
Various statements were posted on McCartney's Web site on his behalf since the illness was first reported.
"Doctors have ordered Paul complete rest and he has been doing all he can to get better.Paul has only ever had to reschedule a handful of shows in his entire career and is so upset about this situation, he hates to let people down," a statement read.
"Since contracting a virus last week that led to the postponement of tour dates, Paul received successful medical treatment at a hospital in Tokyo. He will make a complete recovery and has been ordered to take a few days' rest. Paul has been extremely moved by all the messages and well wishes he has received from fans all over the world," a post further said.
McCartney was accompanied by his third wife, Nancy Shevell, throughout the ordeal. Fans have been keeping a vigil outside the hospital to show their support.
The veteran performer is expected to have a U.S. tour on 14 June, which will consist of 18 concerts, leading to a gig at Candlestick Park stadium, where the site of the Beatles' last public show in 1966. No announcement has been made whether the U.S. shows will push through or if he will be strong enough to perform by then.
To contact the editor, e-mail: