French Open Day 3 Updates: Women's Singles First Round Results
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 28, 2014 2:50 PM EST
The French Open is well under way and the first three days have seen most of the first round matches out of the way. The second Grand Slam event of the year held in Roland Garros is on the first week of action and despite being only at the opening days of the event, drama and action has not been lacking.
David Ferrer of Spain reacts during his men's singles match against Igor Sijsling of the Netherlands at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 27, 2014.
The top two seeds, Rafael Nadal, and Novack Djockovic have already comfortably booked their berths into the second round as well as former world number one Roger Federer. The only slip up in the top three comes with the upset of number 3 seed Stan Wawrinka in the hands of Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (6-4, 5-7, 6-2, 6-0.)
David Ferrer def Igor Sijsling (6-4, 6-3, 6-1)
The biggest match of the day was David Ferrer who is potentially going to meet defending champion Rafael Nadal in the quarter-finals if both of them make it that far.
Ferrer made the first step towards the Spanish clash when he defeated Dutchman Igor Sijsling in the first round. Ferrer defeated Nadal in the semi-finals in Monte Carlo this year. The first time he has done so in clay in a decade. His form has been looking good recently as he had also reached the semi-finals in Madrid before losing to Ken Nishikori who pulled out of the final to hand Nadal the victory.
Home court advantage
French fans have always shown massive support for their local bets. Philippe Chatrier Court featured 24th seed Gael Minfils against Romanian Victor Hanesco. The 27-year old Frenchman sealed his place in the second round in a hard fought battle that saw him leading early but failing in the second set. He needed the wake up call and eventually closed the match at 6-2, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Another home bet Richard Gasquet made short work of Bernard Tomich in court Suzanne Langlen. Richard Gasquet, having hit only for the past 10 days after eight weeks off nursing a back injury, is on a tentative comeback. He looked completely solid and healthy though as he powered on to win the match inonly 97 minutes, 6-2, 6-1, 7-5.
The matches were gruelling and playing in a grand slam event requires players to be at the top of their fitness level. Those who aren't will be weeded out easily. Tommy Haas was forced to withdraw with a right shoulder injury while leading against Jurgen Zoop of Estonia. 5-2. 21st seed Nicolas Almagro also pulled out of his match while trailing behind Jack Sock, 5-0.
French veteran Michael Llodra walked away from his final campaign in Roland Garros after bowing out to Spain's Fernado Verdasco, 6-2, 7-6(4), 7-6(3). He was honoured in an on-court ceremony in front of his home crowd.
Other veterans did not do so well either with two-time Grand Slam champion Lleyton Hewitt falling against Carlos Berlocq in four sets, 3-6, 6-2, 6-1, 6-4. This is Hewitt's 14th Roland Garros appearance, his best results being quarter-final showings in 2001 and 2004.
Marinko Matosevic def. Dustin Brown (7-6(5), 6-4, 6-7(1), 7-5)
Philipp Kohlschreiber def. Pere Riba (7-5, 6-4, 6-1)
Andreas Haider-Maurer def. Daniel Brands (4-6, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4)
Kein Anderson def. Stephane Robert (7-5, 6-3, 6-4)
Axel Michon def. Bradley Klahn
Andreas Seppi def. Colombian Santiago
See full list of matches and results at the official French Open Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around