French Open Day 3 Updates: Women's Singles First Round Results
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 28, 2014 2:24 PM EST
The second major of the year is well under way and the first three days have seen most of the first round matches out of the way. The French Open in Roland Garros is on the first week of action and there were many predictable results and also some big upsets.
Kristina Mladenovic of France waves after winning her women's singles match against Li Na of China at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 27, 2014.
Biggest Upset: Kristina Mladenovic-FRA def. Li Na-CHN (7-5, 3-6, 6-1)
Former French Open Champion Li Na was unceremoniously booted out of the tournament by home bet but unseeded Kristina Mladenovic in three sets.
Li Na never really showed any prowess for playing in clay courts until she went and won the tournament and her first major title back in 2011. She has, since then prove that it was not a fluke by doing well in other events. However, her performance in Roland Garros has been steadily declining as she went out on the fourth round for her title defence in 2012 and then on the second round in 2013. This year is the worst, having been taken out on the first round.
Yanina Wickmayer-BEL def. Caroline Wozniacki-DEN (7-6(5), 4-6, 6-2)
It has been nothing short of a disaster this week for Caroline Wozniacki. The 13th seed was in doubt for the tournament after suffering a knee injury as well as suffering a setback in her personal life as her fiancé, golfer Rory McIlroy called off their engagement only days before the French Open.
The 64th ranked Belgian dealt a heavy blow to the former number one as she was taken out on the very first round of the event after three hard fought sets.
Jelena Jancovic-SRB def Sharon Fichman-CAN (5-7, 6-1, 6-3)
The Serbian star came through a tough battle to secure a spot in the second round. The first round match against Sharon Fichman was called off on Monday night because of bad light. At the time, Jankovic was on the verge of taking the second set which she eventually did upon resumption of the match on day 3. The third set was uneventful with both players trading breaks until Jankovic broke through for 5-3 and finally claimed the set and match at 6'3.
Ana Ivanovic def. Caroline Garcia (6-1, 6-3)
Svetlana Kuznetsova def. Sofia Shapatava (6-3, 6-1)
Sara Errani def. Madison Keys (7-5, 3-6, 6-1)
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova def. Kimiko Date-Krumm (6-3, 0-6, 6-2)
Sloane Stephens def. Shuai Peng (6-4, 7-6(8))
Hether Watson def. Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, (6-3, 6-4)
Sorana Cirstea def. Aleksandra Wozniak (6-7(3), 7-5, 6-2)
Kirsten Flipkens def, Danka Kovinic (7-6(6), 6-2)
Ekaterina Makarova def. Shelby Rogers (6-2, 6-3)
See full list of matches and results at the official French Open Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?