U.S. Doctor Killed by Gunmen in Pakistan, Bloody Image of Dead Body Goes Viral
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 28, 2014 11:18 AM EST
A U.S. doctor was killed by gunmen in Pakistan while he was on a visit to a graveyard. The gunmen came on motorcycles and shot several bullets in his body.
Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif speaks with the media during a new conference in New Delhi May 27, 2014. Sharif said on Tuesday that top diplomats from Pakistan and India would meet soon to advance peace talks that have moved fitfully because of political tensions between the nuclear-armed rivals.
Cardiologist Dr Mehdi Ali Qamar, an Ohio resident, went to Pakistan to provide medical care to heart patients for free. He arrived in the Pakistani city of Punjab three days ago. Qamar went to visit a local graveyard on Monday, May 26, when he was shot several times. He died instantly. The image of his bloody lifeless body, meanwhile, has gone viral.
According to CNN, the motive of the murder was unclear. However, National Post reported that religious fanatics killed the 50-year-old doctor as he belonged to the religious minority sect Ahmadi Muslim which is illegal in Pakistan. Qamar used to live in Canada in the early 90s. He had a citizenship for both Canada and the United States. Qamar, also a poet and artist, was accompanied by his 3-year-old son as well as his wife when the gunmen shot him dead. He is reportedly to be the second member of the Ahmadi community to be killed in Pakistan in 2014.
Pakistan has been persecuting Ahmadi community members since 1974 after the military regime of President Muhammad Zia ul Haq did an amendment in the constitution and declared the community as non-Muslim. Thereafter, the community apparently became a victim of a hate campaign. Sixty-year-old Khalil Ahmad was killed in police custody after he had been arrested on charges of blasphemy. He was shot dead in a Sharqpur jail when a man, who came to serve food, shot him dead.
Qamar's body will be taken to Toronto for the burial. "He had no enemies," a spokesman of the community said, "He was a gentle man who enjoyed playing cricket. Our community will continue to provide services to this country. It is this on-going process of hate and discrimination that needs to be stopped in Pakistan."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists