Torrentz.EU Domain Suspension Revoked After Leading Torrent Search Engine’s Legal Team Stated the Suspension was Unlawful
By Tarun Mazumdar | May 28, 2014 9:22 AM EST
Torrentz.eu domain was unsuspended and the torrent search was made available to users. When Torrentz' legal team stated that the suspension was unlawful, the Polish registrar restored the DNS entries of the domain name, reported by TorrentFreak.
People were clueless about the sudden unavailability of Torrentz.eu as they used Hashtag #torrentz to find out. Torrentz is one of the leading torrent Web sites.
Nazwa, a Poland-based company which is the site's domain registrar, had suspended the .EU domain of the site. Apparently, they received a letter from the Intellectual Property Crime Unit of the UK Police department.
City of London Police targeted numerous domains and asked their registrars to suspend the names. Many agreed, however others plainly refused as they stated they won't suspend the domains without a court order.
Nazwa, too, complied and suspended Torrentz.eu domain, however it was later unsuspended and the site was up and running for users.
The ns1.blocked.netart.pl and ns.2blocked.netart.pl ones were replaced by the old DNS entries.
According to TorrentFreak, the legal team of Torrentz contacted the registrar and in a letter explained that the domain cannot be suspended because of a third-party's request.
The Web site noted that ICANN's Transfer Dispute Resolution Policy Panel declared that a court order is a must to take such actions.
The team at Torrentz was delighted and planned to continue the Web site with .eu domain.
Intellectual Property Crime Unit of the UK Police informed TorrentFreak that the latest acts to ask registrars to suspend the domains is because of the "Operation Creative." The copyright holders identify the Web sites and the police officers verify them.
Also, TorrentFreak received statement from the UK Police as a response to the inquiry made by the Web site. The department revealed how Web sites are identified and what appropriate actions are taken.
"As part of Operation Creative, rights holders in the creative industries identify and report copyright infringing websites to PIPCU, providing a detailed package of evidence indicating how the site is involved in illegal copyright infringement. Officers from PIPCU then evaluate the websites and verify whether they are infringing copyright. At the first instance of a website being confirmed as providing copyright infringing content, the site owner is contacted by officers at PIPCU and offered the opportunity to engage with the police, to correct their behaviour and to begin to operate legitimately."
"If a website fails to comply and engage with the police, then a variety of other tactical options may be used including; contacting the domain registrar informing them of the criminality and seeking suspension of the site and disrupting advertising revenue through the use of an Infringing Website List (IWL) available to those involved in the sale and trading of digital advertising."
For now, Torrentz.eu is available for users.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Intelligence Agencies Hunt for James Foley Beheader Using Voice Recognition Technology, Journalist Was Warned by GlobalPost Editor Not to Go to Libya
- Sydney Fashion Designer Jodhi Meares’ Driver License Suspended for Drunk-Driving
- British PM David Cameron Cuts Short Summer Holiday to Lead Hunt for Foley Beheader; Abbott Calls Decapitation ‘Pure Evil’
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists