Boxing News 2014: Ruslan Provodnikov Looms as Opponent of Manny Pacquiao in November Bout
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 28, 2014 8:47 AM EST
Top Rank boss Bob Arum named on Tuesday the top 3 boxers whom eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao would battle on Nov 8 at the Cotai Arena in Macau.
First on the list is Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez, followed by Russian Ruslan Provodnikov and a boxer from Golden Boy Promotions.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Fresh from his victory against Mike Alvarado, Marquez has not committed to a fifth match against Pacquiao, but Arum is slated to meet with Marquez whom he invited to Macau next week to watch the fight on Sunday between Filipino boxer Nonito Donaire Jr and Simpiwe Vetyeka.
If Marquez says no, the next option is Provodnikov who has a bout on HBO versus Chris Algieri when he defends his WBO light-welterweight title. Vadim Komilov, Provodnikov's manager, confirmed to Worldboxingnews that the bout against Pacquiao has high chances of happening.
The Russian boxer told WBN, "I'm looking forward to a big fight in the fall. Whomever it is, I want to get one of the top opponents in the 140-147 weight class."
From Golden Boy, the possible match is British boxer Amir Khan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown