Boxing News 2014: Ruslan Provodnikov Looms as Opponent of Manny Pacquiao in November Bout
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 28, 2014 8:47 AM EST
Top Rank boss Bob Arum named on Tuesday the top 3 boxers whom eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao would battle on Nov 8 at the Cotai Arena in Macau.
First on the list is Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez, followed by Russian Ruslan Provodnikov and a boxer from Golden Boy Promotions.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Fresh from his victory against Mike Alvarado, Marquez has not committed to a fifth match against Pacquiao, but Arum is slated to meet with Marquez whom he invited to Macau next week to watch the fight on Sunday between Filipino boxer Nonito Donaire Jr and Simpiwe Vetyeka.
If Marquez says no, the next option is Provodnikov who has a bout on HBO versus Chris Algieri when he defends his WBO light-welterweight title. Vadim Komilov, Provodnikov's manager, confirmed to Worldboxingnews that the bout against Pacquiao has high chances of happening.
The Russian boxer told WBN, "I'm looking forward to a big fight in the fall. Whomever it is, I want to get one of the top opponents in the 140-147 weight class."
From Golden Boy, the possible match is British boxer Amir Khan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists