Boxing News 2014: Ruslan Provodnikov Looms as Opponent of Manny Pacquiao in November Bout
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 28, 2014 8:47 AM EST
Top Rank boss Bob Arum named on Tuesday the top 3 boxers whom eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao would battle on Nov 8 at the Cotai Arena in Macau.
First on the list is Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez, followed by Russian Ruslan Provodnikov and a boxer from Golden Boy Promotions.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Fresh from his victory against Mike Alvarado, Marquez has not committed to a fifth match against Pacquiao, but Arum is slated to meet with Marquez whom he invited to Macau next week to watch the fight on Sunday between Filipino boxer Nonito Donaire Jr and Simpiwe Vetyeka.
If Marquez says no, the next option is Provodnikov who has a bout on HBO versus Chris Algieri when he defends his WBO light-welterweight title. Vadim Komilov, Provodnikov's manager, confirmed to Worldboxingnews that the bout against Pacquiao has high chances of happening.
The Russian boxer told WBN, "I'm looking forward to a big fight in the fall. Whomever it is, I want to get one of the top opponents in the 140-147 weight class."
From Golden Boy, the possible match is British boxer Amir Khan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On