86-Year-Old Sister of Warren Buffett Heads Foundation That Gives Away the Investment Guru’s Wealth
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 28, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Investment guru Warren Buffett, 83, is fulfilling his 2006 promise to share his wealth by tapping a foundation set-up by his 86-year-old sister Doris. The Sunshine Lady Foundation has seven women staff who go over the thousands of letters the billionaire received the past 12 years and respond to those they deem worthy of assistance.
An American business tycoon Warren Buffett is the Chairman & CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. As of 2011, his holdings have been estimated at $39 billion.
Most of the request really could be granted by Buffett's fortune. Some of them are just a few dollars worth such as a new pair of eyeglasses, a tombstone to replace lost grave markers or several hundreds such as a car a disabled woman needed to visit her daughter and grandchildren.
Doris described the recipients of help as "Decent people who just didn't have the breaks somebody else did."
Warren gave her $5 million as initial seed fund to pay for the cost of replying to all the letters he got. But he promised to add more if she would need extra money to cover the requests, although the siblings did not disclose how much they have spent responding to the requests which philanthropy professor Rebecca Riccio said are not the types who would junk the requests.
Not all the funds spent by the foundation are from Warren. Doris, who started it in 1996, has given $150 million of her inherited money for scholarships, victims of domestic violence, college education for prisoners and people with mental illness.
Doris shared that the desire to help started during the Great Depression when she witnessed people struggle to meet basic needs such as food and home.
Many of the recipients of their help are from their area such as Fredericksburg in Virginia, Wilmington and Beaufort in North Carolina and Rockport in Maine, but she is open to helping people in need from other areas.
Their aid is mostly one-time, but as much as possible they try to connect the beneficiaries to other people or groups who could also help based on her belief that "I can't change somebody's life, but I can make it possible for them to do so."
Having the foundation frees Warren to concentrate on Berkshire Hathaway where he continues to accumulate wealth, some of which are funneled via the old ladies to help people in need.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Report Claims China & Taiwan Sell Human Meat
- Sex with the Dead: Ohio Man Admits Doing it with 100 Corpses
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Ebola Virus: NZ Health Officials Given 'Powers' to Stop Ships, Planes from Entering Border
- Canadian Rapist, Convicted for Killing 2-Year-Old Girl, Murdered in Prison
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015