Tasmanian Farmers Hit Senator Abetz’s Proposal to Make State’s Orchards Dumping Ground for Unemployed Aussie Youth
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 28, 2014 8:25 AM EST
Australian Minister Eric Abetz may have meant well when he suggested that unemployed youth pick fruit in Tasmania while waiting to be hired in their dream jobs, but the suggestion didn't sit well with Tasmanian farmers.
The Tasmanian Farmers and Graziers Association (TFGA) told the senator their industry is not a dumping ground for such kind of people who would face a six-month wait to get unemployment benefits under the Newstart programme of the proposed federal 2014-15 budget.
Explaining why the industry prefers to hire backpackers who are mostly migrant workers, TFGA Chief Executive Jan Davis said, quoted by The Age, "Fruit picking and vegetable picking by definition is seasonal so the thought that we would get long-term full-time positions out of it is not a realistic one."
She emphasised, "Farming is not a dumping ground for people who are not employment ready ... I haven't hear Senator Abetz or anybody else suggesting that we hogtie unemployed people and drag them down to work in coffee shops or retail."
Tasmania itself is suffering from a 17 per cent youth unemployment rate, but Davis added, "If the Government wants us to be babysitters and to run these social welfare programs we will have a conversation about what's involved in that, but it won't be as a part of commercial offering."
The point that Abetz was trying to get across was young people shouldn't be ashamed to take on manual work that doesn't pay too high instead of relying on taxpayers to provide for their needs while waiting to be hired for them dream jobs.
He even used his experience as a youth delivering bread, driving a cab and working in a chicken farm as an example, but the message was obscured by his earnest desire to defend the budget that Abetz failed to anticipate the negative impact of his suggestion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- US-led Coalition Has Launched First Airstrike vs. ISIS in Syria – Pentagon
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia
- ISIS Used 'GTA 5' in Teen Recruitment Video, Violent Games Help Gain More Followers
- Chilling: Group Deadlier Than ISIS Had Risen
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4