Rory McIlroy Wins PGA Championship; Irish Athlete Never ‘Envisaged’ Winning Tour After Split With Tennis Star Caroline Wozniacki
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 27, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Northern Irish professional golfer Rory McIlroy won the BMW PGA Championship, his 12th victory as a professional golfer on May 26. The victory came only a week after he called of his engagement with ex-fiancée and tennis athlete Caroline Wozniacki.
File photo of McIlroy of Northern Ireland and his girlfriend, tennis player Wozniacki of Denmark, during the annual Masters Par 3 Contest in Augusta
McIlroy reportedly had "mixed emotions" in his win, Belfasttelegraph.co.uk reported. "I can't explain it but I'm sitting here looking at this trophy thinking how the hell did it happen this week," said McIlroy. "But it did."
McIlroy admitted that he couldn't get his head and heart straight after breaking up with Wozniacki. Thus, he didn't expect he would win at all in the tournament. "It was not an event I would have envisaged winning at the start of the week."
According to McIlroy, everything went smooth as soon as he got "inside the ropes." He started playing good golf. "I was on my own and doing what I do best, which is playing golf, and that sort of gave me four or five hours of serenity or sanctuary." However, it did help that McIlroy's competitors such as the 43-year-old Dane Thomas Bjorn and several others committed faults and mistakes.
McIlroy was happy with his performance at the BMW PGA tournament because it just went to show how he can still manage to maintain his composure despite the current state of things in his personal life. "This does my confidence the world of good to know I can get the job done under pressure."
"I think it was meant to be in some strange way."
McIlroy will take a three-week break to prepare himself for the U.S. Open which will be held in North Carolina, Belfast Telegraph further reported. McIlroy said he will visit his mother for the time being.
The 25-year-old golfer may endured pain after split with Wozniacki but, he surely found a way to end his anguish with the joy brought by his tournament victory.
McIlroy birdied the final two holes. He won by one over Shane Lowry and two over Thomas Bjorn and Luke Donald.
In a news article published by Independent.ie, McIlroy has now moved up the world rankings following his success in the BMW PGA tournament. He moved four places up, from the 10th to the sixth spot in the latest world rankings.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change