‘Sailor Moon’ Uncut and Remastered; New Episodes Air to Hulu Plus Every Monday [Watch Trailer]
By Jenille Cristy Maido | May 27, 2014 3:28 PM EST
The 90's classic anime/manga series, "Sailor Moon," is being set up to be streamed on Hulu which would be the first time to be broadcasted in the U.S. for over a decade.
The subscription service Web site has started airing the show since it was slated on May 19. It featured the first four episodes, all of which were uncut and remastered.
Fans of the "Sailor Moon" could send their thanks to Viz Media, the show's primary distributor, and the company behind the series' remastering and creation of subtitles. Every Monday, Hulu offers new episodes for the U.S. viewers. Viz Media gained Northern American distribution rights when they acquired the franchise from the Tokyo-based Toei Animation Co, a source claims.
The licensed deal includes 200 episodes of the series that stretched for five seasons, which also included three films and different tie-in specials.
The first few episodes of the series will be subtitled in English, and a brand new cast is set to take over the following episodes. On the other hand, the dubbing will not alter anything from the series. Story wise, the names of the characters in the anime will remain as it is, as well as their relationships with one another.
The series originally aired in the U.S. during the 90s; however, the entire season was not released due to the anime's "questionable" content according to CNET. Furthermore, there were several cuts and edits that led to many changes, including lesbian characters introduced as cousins.
"Sailor Moon" is one of the most popular cartoon shows in the 90s. The story revolves on the teen girls who utilize their superpowers to fight evil and save the world. "Sailor Moon" started the boom of anime across the U.S. television as the series notably paved the way for other anime shows.
Meanwhile, a Japanese version is also set for release in Japan on July 5 with a total of 26 episodes. The series is entitled "Sailor Moon Crystal," and Viz Media also acquired the rights for its telecast. The company also disclosed that it will be releasing a limited edition DVD and Blu-ray sets of the series on the latter part of 2014.
Following Viz Media's announcement to air the series, the distribution company released an official trailer featuring the new voice of Usagi Tsukino, the teen who transforms as "Sailor Moon."
[Watch Sailor Moon Official Announcement Trailer]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies