Netflix Denies Australian Market Launch
By Anne Lu | May 27, 2014 2:25 PM EST
The headquarters of Netflix is shown in Los Gatos, California in this file photo taken September 20, 2011. Netflix Inc reported higher profit that beat Wall Street expectations for the quarter that ended in March, boosted by the addition of 2.25 million customers to its movie and TV streaming service in the United States. REUTERS/Robert Galbraith/Files
The report added that Seven Network has considered making deals with other telco and digital television companies, including Optus, Freeview and subscription service provider Quickfix, to launch a streaming service.
Nine Network is also allegedly launching Stream Co, its own streaming service, by the end of the year.
As it turned out Netflix’s arrival in the country will be delayed, if it will indeed arrive.
So while Netflix has plans to conquer the world, it doesn’t include Australia in the meantime.
This isn’t the first time Netflix has been reported to come to Australia. In late 2013, The Australian suggested that it would launch in the country in 2014.
Although there were no previous plans to launch the service here, the U.S. paid TV and movie streaming service apparently changed its mind after learning that there have been an increasing number of people bypassing geoblocks to subscribe to the service.
Netflix is available to subscribers for U$7.99 per month. It is currently available in the U.S. and some parts of Europe only, excluding Australians to watch its programs.
Some nifty viewers are able to access Netflix, though, using VPN (virtual private network).
Netflix currently streams some of the most popular programs in the U.S., including the fourth season of “Arrested Development,” “House of Cards” and “Orange is the New Black.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate